So do you think that Bill Cosby is a serial rapist?

Thoughts? For me, it's another awful story of an icon (sortof) falling off of the pedestal.

And if it's true? Just sordid and disgusting. Would like to hear what others think. For me, I used to watch his shows and just think that he was wonderful and funny.

Now? Not sure what I'm thinking.

Would hope that these allegations aren't true. Sounds like that may be, though.

Elisabeth
Any man in a position like Bill has enjoyed all of his career has surely been tempted by the attractive women in his presence. He probably had many women openly offering themselves to him. It's life in the entertainment business.

If he were attracted to a woman he worked with regularly, I suspect she would feel like she could not say no to his advances even if she wanted to. That is where his inner strength should prevail - but he is a man and men draw a dotted line when it comes to sexual pleasure.

It is very disappointing to hear the number of accusations in view of the high level of integrity he appeared to have in his acting and personal life. There is no happy ending to this story for anyone involved.
I'm going to have to wait until the story unfolds a little more and some more facts come out. So many people accuse to get a quick payday.
Attached Images File Type: jpg bill-cosby-meme-1.jpg (89.2 KB, 362 views)
  • hd
  • 11-19-2014, 09:02 AM
We would all be shocked if it was publicly known what many of our celebrities did on the down low. Though I like to think that more than not, most have the integrity and smarts to not get caught up in a mess like this, or enough money to keep the lid on it.
I believe a man is innocent until proven guilty. And having someone come a decade later, point the finger and say "He touched my booby" isn't enough proof.
Any man in a position like Bill has enjoyed all of his career has surely been tempted by the attractive women in his presence. He probably had many women openly offering themselves to him. It's life in the entertainment business.

If he were attracted to a woman he worked with regularly, I suspect she would feel like she could not say no to his advances even if she wanted to. That is where his inner strength should prevail - but he is a man and men draw a dotted line when it comes to sexual pleasure.

It is very disappointing to hear the number of accusations in view of the high level of integrity he appeared to have in his acting and personal life. There is no happy ending to this story for anyone involved. Originally Posted by OldGrump
I really didn't give these stories a second thought (I agree with the innocent until proven guilty thing) but after reading how it wasn't just dealing with the typical drunk date (which rape is a questionable thing in those situations) but that he was accused, by more than one woman, of slipping them a pill, or some sort of mickey, and then having sex with them when they're out of it.

That is what has bothered me the most. That shows intent as compared to just taking an opportunity (even when inappropriate) when presented.

We would all be shocked if it was publicly known what many of our celebrities did on the down low. Though I like to think that more than not, most have the integrity and smarts to not get caught up in a mess like this, or enough money to keep the lid on it. Originally Posted by hd
I know that people are not always well behaved. I would hope that rape, and being drugged, is not the "normal" in Hollywood. Seems as if in years past, it might have been. Guess I've read too many Judy Garland, etc. bios to think differently.

I believe a man is innocent until proven guilty. And having someone come a decade later, point the finger and say "He touched my booby" isn't enough proof. Originally Posted by Hercules
I agree. Completely. And I do think that some ladies will come in out of the woodwork and start to point the finger. That doesn't ring true.

However, there is an article in Salon that suggests that nothing will ever happen to Bill Cosby even if proven true. The statue of limitations is over, from my understanding.

Elisabeth
I don't understand why it became a big deal again all of the sudden. He settled the sexual assault case back in 2005 or 2006. Now a comedian jokes about it and it went viral so more accussers are coming forward??? And Janice Dickinson????? She's an ambulance chasing celebrity-whore if there ever was one.

I feel really disappointed in that comedian who is trampling on a man who likely helped inspire him to become a stand up comedian. Our society in general is becoming more and more of a sespool of spoiled, ungrateful and entitled assholes and that Hannibal Burres is definitely one of them. I was reading his comments about his clip going viral and he isn't the least bit concerned about anyone - including the victims in the settlement who are also being dragged thru this again for no reason. When people settle things out of court its bc they want it to end quietly - both sides.

I just don't understand why it became newsworthy again all the sudden just bc some new jackass comic with no appreciation for how he got there calls Bill Cosby a rapist. Bill Cosby was never charged with rape anyway. He was charged with sexual assault. They have two different definitions. He should make a statement as such since it was his ignorant comments that got this going again.

Its all just really pathetic. I will keep my 'Cliff Huxtable' view of Bill Cosby despite the bullshit. He seems like a genuinely kind person and has done wonderful work over the years that people can enjoy together as a family. That says more to me about him than a couple assholes bringing up old shit bc that's the only way they can get their due attention.
Thanks for your input. I'll admit, some of what you wrote is news to me ... proof that I just skimmed the few articles that I came across.

I will agree that when I read, last night, about Janice D. coming forward, I thought to myself oh hum. And it seemed like an opportunist ploy. I mentioned that in my comments above, without naming names.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Hugs,
Elisabeth
We'll see how many of the accusers want a payday, or are just bringing this up because they're hearing about others he did this to and feel more comfortable telling what they went through.

If they're not doing this for the money it seems to lend credibility to their accusations.
I really don't know if he is guilty of the crimes or not (and shame on me for saying this but I really don't care, they are all adults and own their decisions, including the one to not report it when it happened). And like you mentioned, the statute has passed so what motivation could there possibly be other than to tarnish his image?

My wild guess is that he probably told a few of these ladies off at some point in the past and deeply offended them in some way and now this is their way of getting back at him. Sounds so petty but people are getting more and more like that everyday - especially some spiteful bitches. Just sad.
I really don't know if he is guilty of the crimes or not (and shame on me for saying this but I really don't care, they are all adults and own their decisions, including the one to not report it when it happened). And like you mentioned, the statute has passed so what motivation could there possibly be other than to tarnish his image?

My wild guess is that he probably told a few of these ladies off at some point in the past and deeply offended them in some way and now this is their way of getting back at him. Sounds so petty but people are getting more and more like that everyday - especially some spiteful bitches. Just sad. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
I would tend to agree with you but man... 13 is a lot of people against you.
I think he is guilty.. the reason the story is trending now, is because the Comedian lit the fire.. the News outlets never want to go first on a story like this.. they know the information, but because of the legal ramifications, they sit and wait for someone else to bring it up.. then the News outlet reports on what that person said, as a third party.. that absolves the News outlet of liability..

Cosby's method of operation was similar to Film Directors, and Record Company Execs... plenty of examples of willing young women seeking showbiz fame, and guys taking advantage of them.. it's not as difficult as it may seem, to have a public face/personna that clashes with one's real self.. anyone remember this guy?

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2002-1...-suspect/full/

local radio host, affable guy, serial rapist.. nobody would have ever suspected.
I definitely see your point, but why would 13 women wait so long and not say anything. Its just so odd that its coming up again now. The case was settled and closed back in 2005. Now just bc some punkass thinks it'll make his stand up act better if he repeatedly calls Bill Cosby a rapist on stage its suddenly newsworthy again?

13 is a lot, you are totally right there but those women all settled out of court years ago from what I understand. The only new ones I read about were Janice and a lady who was asked by Don Lemon why she didn't bite his dick off when Cosby reportedly forced her to perform oral sex on him. Ya that went over really well.

Edit: Chung, I posted before I read your post. Thanks for sharing that link. Interesting take on the media waiting for an opportunity to jump on this too. Do you really think they have just been waiting so they could report it? Why? The parties involved all settled out of court. Its their decision to do that. You have a good point though.
I
13 is a lot, you are totally right there but those women all settled out of court years ago from what I understand. The only new ones I read about were Janice and a lady who was asked by Don Lemon why she didn't bite his dick off when Cosby reportedly forced her to perform oral sex on him. Ya that went over really well. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
Don Lemon has had lots of practice, I bet he's had more dicks in his mouth than a lot of the Providers on ECCIE..

I will repeat.. it is news again, because the Comedian's routine made it ok for the News Reporters to talk freely.. after the original case settled out of Court, there was not enough evidence to call Cosby a rapist.. remember, though, the accuser from 10 years ago had a dozen, or so, ladies who attached themselves to her case, saying he had assaulted them too.. the statue of limitations had run out, so those ladies could not sue on their own.

the news reporters today are reporting what the Comedian said.. that is ok, legally, because they are repeating what a 3rd party said.. they are not personally calling Cosby out, just saying the Comedian did.. and Cosby's not about to sue the Comedian... besides, the comedian has a legal shield, of sorts, he can say he was joking about a 10-year old court matter..
"We" are the problem because "we" have created the audience. With the birth of the reality tv "star" has more people than ever seeking their 15 minutes of fame. With 500 channels on the tv that's on 24/7 and the Internet they're all looking for stories.

Bill Cosby is very recognizable thus if he had pancakes for breakfast someone will be posting pictures on Facebook or Twitter of what type of syrup he uses and one group will yell because getting the syrup is hurting the trees and another group will complain he doesn't care about farmers because he's not having bacon. Then a debate of the tree lovers, farmers, and someone Bill stood next to in line 27 years ago will fight it out on Nancy Grace.