Relocating to Dallas

Hello all! I am about to relocate to the Dallas area. Would anybody be so kind to inform me as to the best places to start looking? I have about a month. I’m looking at apartments - so location and safety are top priorities.

I have searched the North Dallas area, Richardson, Garland area... any info would be great.

Many thanks in advance
  • grean
  • 11-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Close to your job. Traffic is a bitch.

There are good areas all around dfw.
Yep, the closer to your work the better. Very limited public transit here. Drives of more than 10-15 minutes to and from work are senseless.
1. Get a map of the DFW area.
2. Draw a 5-mile circle from your favorite provider or amp.
3. Draw a 10-mile circle from your place of work.
4. Get a residence where the circles intersect.
All the above are correct, Dallas metro traffic is as bad as anywhere in US or worse. I have lived in Dallas and LA. Dallas is as bad as traffic on the 405 if you have any experience with the 405 you will understand how bad traffic is in Dallas. The population influx is so huge in Dallas that the infrastructure cannot possibly keep up.
The google maps app comes in handy. If you know your work place and times of work, you can test out where the traffic jams will be by searching direction between the two locations during your commute hours. It will show in red where and how long the congestions are along the route. I check it a few time when I travel to see where all the traffic delays are and find ways around.

Las Colinas and North Dallas seems to have the nicer apartments. But yeah I would get something close to your work. Weekday traffic in dallas is terrible.
  • Crock
  • 11-13-2018, 03:38 PM
The google maps app comes in handy. Originally Posted by dallasfan
Amateur.

Use the Google Waze app if you want route information that will tell you minutes instead of just color codes.
Google map does that too and it’s more handy too.
  • BLM69
  • 11-13-2018, 06:31 PM
All the above are correct, Dallas metro traffic is as bad as anywhere in US or worse. I have lived in Dallas and LA. Dallas is as bad as traffic on the 405 if you have any experience with the 405 you will understand how bad traffic is in Dallas. The population influx is so huge in Dallas that the infrastructure cannot possibly keep up. Originally Posted by Snafu75
Nothing is worst than the 405, Dallas traffic might be bad in short stretches, the 405 is a parking lot from Santa Monica to the valley
I try to avoid Dallas altogether and stick to Ft Worth
All the above are correct, Dallas metro traffic is as bad as anywhere in US or worse. I have lived in Dallas and LA. Dallas is as bad as traffic on the 405 if you have any experience with the 405 you will understand how bad traffic is in Dallas. The population influx is so huge in Dallas that the infrastructure cannot possibly keep up. Originally Posted by Snafu75
Dallas is bad, I’ll say that, but no way is it same as 405, fuck that
All the above are correct, Dallas metro traffic is as bad as anywhere in US or worse. Originally Posted by Snafu75
I must respectfully disagree. Houston is far worse than DFW. I moved here about 20 years ago, and was pleasantly relieved to find the traffic not as bad.

I'm reminded of that every time I go back to Houston, it has just gotten exponentially worse relative to DFW. Try going anywhere during rush hour on West 290 or West I10. And heaven forbid you would try to navigate the West Loop around the Galleria.
I must respectfully disagree. Houston is far worse than DFW. I moved here about 20 years ago, and was pleasantly relieved to find the traffic not as bad.

I'm reminded of that every time I go back to Houston, it has just gotten exponentially worse relative to DFW. Try going anywhere during rush hour on West 290 or West I10. And heaven forbid you would try to navigate the West Loop around the Galleria. Originally Posted by billw1032
Current Dallas traffic reminds me of Houston traffic from 15 years ago.
Amateur.

Use the Google Waze app if you want route information that will tell you minutes instead of just color codes. Originally Posted by Crock
+1, and youll know if there are traffic cops on your path.
Traffic is worse in Houston, L.A., most of the San Francisco area, NYC, Maybe Boston and Chicago. But Dallas is bad enough. Why spend over 30 minutes a day in your car. I live 10 minutes from my office in rush hour.