Hey Houston HVAC guys, I have a question...

This guy today told me that it's not possible to fix a freon leak. Is that even true? I don't believe him.
  • pxmcc
  • 06-03-2023, 02:49 PM
This guy today told me that it's not possible to fix a freon leak. Is that even true? I don't believe him. Originally Posted by CurvyKatie
how long since your freon ran out last time?
The freon has never run out before.
Freon leaks usually occur on or near a valve, it’s pretty common and can be repaired rather affordably. HVAC repair would rather do a full system replacement especially if the system is older than 10 or so years. Get a second opinion. It can be repaired regardless. Having said all that, if the leak is in the evaporator coil then expect higher costs.
Kurze Antwort; Ja, er lügt dich an
Short answer; yeah, he's lying to you
Some or most hvac companies have huge overhead cost, they send out a repairman who’s also half salesman. They earn more to replace than repair.
Freon leaks usually occur on or near a valve, it’s pretty common and can be repaired rather affordably. HVAC repair would rather do a full system replacement especially if the system is older than 10 or so years. Get a second opinion. It can be repaired regardless. Having said all that, if the leak is in the evaporator coil then expect higher costs. Originally Posted by arañanegra
Yes he claimed it's in the evaporator coil, and it's possible of course that it could be the coil, but I also don't really believe that because I don't think he spent enough time to even know that.
Kurze Antwort; Ja, er lügt dich an
Short answer; yeah, he's lying to you Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Thank you Dorian. Was hoping for your input. I figured he was lying.
If he used an electronic leak detector it would only take a very short time to determine if it’s leaking. What’s occurring in your residence that caused you to call? Have you replaced the air filter inside your home?
Freon leaks usually occur on or near a valve, it’s pretty common and can be repaired rather affordably. HVAC repair would rather do a full system replacement especially if the system is older than 10 or so years. Get a second opinion. It can be repaired regardless. Having said all that, if the leak is in the evaporator coil then expect higher costs. Originally Posted by arañanegra
Yea google tells me the evaporator coil is not cheap, but still cheaper than a whole new unit.

I really hate having to pay these guys a service fee just to come out and lie to me.
Yes the filter is new.

The unit stopped cooling yesterday. I shut it off. Water came through the ceiling from under the unit. It apparently froze. There was ice on it outside. It's low in freon.

Edit - Dammit I meant to quote arañanegra, was replying to you.
If he used an electronic leak detector it would only take a very short time to determine if it’s leaking. What’s occurring in your residence that caused you to call? Have you replaced the air filter inside your home? Originally Posted by arañanegra
Ok so he might not be lying about the evaporator coil then. He did go poke around the attic with whatever gadgets, and it is leaking water onto the ceiling....so maybe it is the coil.
That sounds like it is the evaporator coil from your response and findings. You may or should also contact your insurance provider to get help covering any water damage, don’t let wet drywall linger, last thing you want is mold.
That sounds like it is the evaporator coil from your response and findings. You may or should also contact your insurance provider to get help covering any water damage, don’t let wet drywall linger, last thing you want is mold. Originally Posted by arañanegra

Should I call another company and get a second opinion on the evaporator coil and if they can repair it?
Just a side note, ac’s in the attic don’t have a water source attached to them. Moisture can develop when the coil ain’t properly functioning (not evaporating) There is also or should also be an ac drip pan beneath the unit with a small outlet to drip out the side of your home.