Any rockets fans here?

Any idea if the administration went crazy or they have a good plan signing Dillon Brooks and Fred VanVleet for that kind of money?

I mean maybe there were teams interested in Vanvleet but Brooks? Against who they thought they were competing to pay that amount?
  • pxmcc
  • 07-05-2023, 03:50 PM
i'm a fair weather fan. does that count..
I hear rumors James harden might be coming back
  • cyhmk
  • 07-05-2023, 05:28 PM
The NBA has a minimum total team salary requirement that all teams have to meet. The Rockets had unloaded all of their high salary veterans so they had a lot of money to spend. Most of the top tier fee agents do not want to be part of a rebuild. The Rockets were interested in Brooks Lopez but he chose to re-sign with the Bucks. Also, I’m sure Udoka wanted some guys who show interest in playing defense, which no one on last year’s roster did.
The NBA has a minimum total team salary requirement that all teams have to meet. The Rockets had unloaded all of their high salary veterans so they had a lot of money to spend. Most of the top tier fee agents do not want to be part of a rebuild. The Rockets were interested in Brooks Lopez but he chose to re-sign with the Bucks. Also, I’m sure Udoka wanted some guys who show interest in playing defense, which no one on last year’s roster did. Originally Posted by cyhmk
That makes sense
Yes - I am a big NBA fan who goes to the games quite often. Rockets had the cap space (money to blow) and had to throw out major dollars to attract anyone to a rebuilding team that MIGHT squeak into the playoffs - major stars wanted to go to the Heat, Lakers, etc which would guarantee them at least the playoffs, and this spend was also part of the deal bt Rockets and their new coach (that they would do everything they could to get some veterans to have a shot at the playoffs)
Yes - I am a big NBA fan who goes to the games quite often. Rockets had the cap space (money to blow) and had to throw out major dollars to attract anyone to a rebuilding team that MIGHT squeak into the playoffs - major stars wanted to go to the Heat, Lakers, etc which would guarantee them at least the playoffs, and this spend was also part of the deal bt Rockets and their new coach (that they would do everything they could to get some veterans to have a shot at the playoffs) Originally Posted by mynameismudd
What can be our expectations this year?
  • cyhmk
  • 07-07-2023, 05:09 PM
The best case scenario is probably around 35-40 wins and maybe a shot at the play in tournament. A lot it depends on how much all these recent high draft picks progress and learn how to play as a team. That’s why the new coach was brought in.
The best case scenario is probably around 35-40 wins and maybe a shot at the play in tournament. A lot it depends on how much all these recent high draft picks progress and learn how to play as a team. That’s why the new coach was brought in. Originally Posted by cyhmk
Play in sounds like a win to me
Hiring Ime Udoka was a great move IMHO. The franchise is certainly spending some cap room money, and I've liked the results from the past two drafts. If Ime can get the team to play together, they might get really good really fast, and I'd love to see it.
Die hard Rockets/Basketball fan here. I think the Fred van Vleet signing was necessary and gives Amen Thompson time to ramp up to becoming our starting PG in the future. We desperately needed a veteran PG and floor general to mentor our young squad.

As for Dillon Brooks I agree with signing him I just think they overpaid significantly. I know we are rebuilding so you gotta throw a bag at players to get them to come here, but I think we could have had Dillon brooks for the $15 mil/year rage as opposed to the $20 mil/year he signed for.

That being said I'm optimistic about the upcoming season. We've upgraded at coach and we got a squad full of dawgs, so successful season would a trip to the play-in tournament. A stretch would be making the first round of playoffs, but *KG voice* anything is possible.