Ukraine Russia conflict........a 10 year battle ?

How will anyone come up with a negotiated truce, and an end to this conflict ? It seems a very remote possibility. And with the current weapons of war, how many will lose their lives ?

Within a couple of days in July of 1863, approximately 25,000 soldiers at Vicksburg and 51,000 at Gettysburg were killed during the US Civil War.
  • Tiny
  • 01-29-2024, 12:39 PM
Supposedly Putin has put out feelers for a truce, where Ukraine would ultimately become part of NATO and Russia would keep parts of Ukraine it's occupying at present. Most here probably will disagree, but that would be far preferable to 10 more years of carnage.
Why do you think it will be so short?
We got Alaska for Russia can fun the Crimea. Infact we should have to give back Alaska if lose Crimea. But there were fight before WWII old Russian capital is Kiev.
Supposedly Putin has put out feelers for a truce, where Ukraine would ultimately become part of NATO and Russia would keep parts of Ukraine it's occupying at present. Most here probably will disagree, but that would be far preferable to 10 more years of carnage. Originally Posted by Tiny

it would except the Biden admin and the neocons don't want a deal. this was basically the same deal that Israel brokered early in the conflict (minus i recall Ukraine joining NATO) and Biden refused it.

if Putin is now willing to allow Ukraine to join NATO in exchange for Eastern Ukraine (Donbas region) then what's Biden reason to refuse now? none and if he doesn't it'll be even more clear he's a senile old turd being led around by the neocons and the military industrial complex. which he is.

bahjahhaaaa
Supposedly Putin has put out feelers for a truce, where Ukraine would ultimately become part of NATO and Russia would keep parts of Ukraine it's occupying at present. Most here probably will disagree, but that would be far preferable to 10 more years of carnage. Originally Posted by Tiny
That is the logical approach.

But that still doesn't give Russia the buffer zone against what they previewed as long time enemies, France and Germany.

Eastern Europeans do not look at history the way we do. They think in terms that just 180 years ago, France was at the doorsteps of Moscow, and just a little over 80 years ago Germany invaded on a war of extermination.

It might seem strange to us, but we don’t understand Eastern European politics.
The cynic in me, informed by 70+ years of experiencing history in real time, believes that there is a tacit understanding between the international military-Industrial complex and habitually corrupt politicians everywhere, that the longer the war in Ukraine stretches out, the more money everyone can make.

If the Western powers had gone all-in for Ukraine within the first year of the conflict, Russia (Putin) could have been forced to come to a political settlement thast eliminated Russian occupation of Eastern Ukraine, Crimea and possibly Moldova.

But material help has come in dribs and drabs, and now artillery shells are in short supply. Russia has enough population to throw raw troops int the meat grinder battles every day. Ukraine does not. Eventually Ukraine will collapse unless the West commits without reservation to defeating Putin everywhere and in every way.

Letting Russia consume Ukraine will have much wider negative ramifications world-wide, from the Baltic to the Pacific, in terms of geopolitics and economics. This already is a world war. Itg is 1939 all over again. Will t5he US experience another triggering event such as Pearl Harbor?

My hope is that North Korea will not nuke Guam or Hawaii or that Iran will not nuke Israel. neither scenario is far-fetched. Both are possible.
The problem is no independent country wants to be used as a buffer zone.
Any one going over there still as a sex tourist. My family is because those women still have the best pussey.
There will only be an end to the conflict when political unrest in Russia or in America causes funding to be cut on either side. Putin can’t afford to have the conflict be seen as a loss. Ukraine will continue to fight as long as they are supplied with money and weapons to continue the fight.
SEX TOURISM? Where . . .In Russia or Ukraine?

From what I read, I would think that Germany would be a better bet.