Crime in Houston

Don't you think it's through the roof? Another Denny's just got robbed. People going the wrong way. People getting shot in front of their homes.

What do you think is causing the upsurge of crime in this city? And what can you do to protect yourself from it?
  • mr666
  • 07-06-2014, 03:47 PM
The cause: idk. I have a gun, a shuriken star, a bow and arrow, and a very unstable mind to protect myself.
Shotgun Squads, as in Clyde Wilson's making Pilgrim Cleaners a safe place to work and do business...

Of course shotgun squads constitute some kind of ism or t'other nowadays. Now the mayor requires a bribe to grant ordinary police protection. Oops....my bad. I meant "campaign contribution". Them suits at IHOP and Denny's better cough up...
The same cause for crime everywhere, no jobs and a lousy educational system! But, Obama says everything is fine.

LS
The same cause for crime everywhere, no jobs and a lousy educational system! But, Obama says everything is fine.

LS Originally Posted by LittleSpike
Nailed it. Oh, and a f*cked up family life with parent(s) who are worthless.
Don't you think it's through the roof? Another Denny's just got robbed. People going the wrong way. People getting shot in front of their homes.

What do you think is causing the upsurge of crime in this city? And what can you do to protect yourself from it? Originally Posted by wickerman1

Protect yourself from it?

Why do you think all of the suburbs of Houston are so large? People Move away from all of the shitheads,
One would thinck with all the shitheads shooting themselves there should be a shortage of shitheads...
  • Trey
  • 07-06-2014, 05:23 PM
There are more shitheads then you know. I actually nearly got robbed in April. I say nearly cus when that crazy Mexican pulled his gun I pulled mine and shot at his ass. Don't know if I hit him, don't think so. I was sitting in my car shooting behind me towards my tailgate where he walked up on me and pulled his gun. I was very lucky not to be shot or killed myself. If he didn't crawl off and die someplace he was lucky too cus I was really trying to kill his ass for that shit. Be careful out there, and if you carry do not be scared to shoot a motherfucker before they shot you. Shit happens faster then you think.

What I really learned was I need to practice situational shooting. You're not always able to take up some kind of weaver stance all the time. So practice is paramount. I'm taking a course with my brother and father soon to learn better home and personal defense. Be safe out there ladies and gents.
  • ICM
  • 07-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Its been an issue since Katrina. I think its gone down since then but the new issue isn't unemployment, its underemployment. Not getting paid enough for the skills and experience you have. That destroys hope for people. When there's no hope or people dont see a legal way to improve their lives or get what they need, crime is going to increase
Its been an issue since Katrina. I think its gone down since then but the new issue isn't unemployment, its underemployment. Not getting paid enough for the skills and experience you have. That destroys hope for people. When there's no hope or people dont see a legal way to improve their lives or get what they need, crime is going to increase Originally Posted by ICM
Very true 🍌

What do you think is causing the upsurge of crime in this city? And what can you do to protect yourself from it? Originally Posted by wickerman1
Its been an issue since Katrina. I think its gone down since then but the new issue isn't unemployment, its underemployment. Not getting paid enough for the skills and experience you have. That destroys hope for people. When there's no hope or people dont see a legal way to improve their lives or get what they need, crime is going to increase Originally Posted by ICM
Very true �� Originally Posted by Long nose
No it has not, in fact the opposite is true.

Perception is a funny thing isn't it? People often overestimate crime rates in particular. Here is an interesting article about this perception-vs-reality http://www.psmag.com/culture/violent...-scared-59966/

Case in point, in Houston violent crime rates have been essentially flat from 2000-2012. Non-violent crime rates have fluctuated but are currently on a downward trend for the past several years. Also, no spike in crime was seen as a result of Katrina for Houston overall.

Here is a quick chart showing the data and trendlines for Violent and Non-Violent crimes from 2000-2012. Data was pulled from City-Data.com and seems to match that reported by HPD and the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting

Here is the data table showing the crimes broken down by type.

There are some areas in town where crime has increased but others where it has decreased. It is important not to look at any one area or small data set and extrapolate it to the whole city. The HPD releases crime statistics monthly for anyone interested. http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/stats2.htm
No it has not, in fact the opposite is true.

Perception is a funny thing isn't it? People often overestimate crime rates in particular. Here is an interesting article about this perception-vs-reality http://www.psmag.com/culture/violent...-scared-59966/

Case in point, in Houston violent crime rates have been essentially flat from 2000-2012. Non-violent crime rates have fluctuated but are currently on a downward trend for the past several years. Also, no spike in crime was seen as a result of Katrina for Houston overall.

Here is a quick chart showing the data and trendlines for Violent and Non-Violent crimes from 2000-2012. Data was pulled from City-Data.com and seems to match that reported by HPD and the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting

Here is the data table showing the crimes broken down by type.

There are some areas in town where crime has increased but others where it has decreased. It is important not to look at any one area or small data set and extrapolate it to the whole city. The HPD releases crime statistics monthly for anyone interested. http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/stats2.htm Originally Posted by SpiceItUp
Ah, SpiceItUp...always a voice of reason. Stop being a buzzkill or I'm gonna have to spank some hippo!
Ah, SpiceItUp...always a voice of reason. Stop being a buzzkill or I'm gonna have to spank some hippo! Originally Posted by YummyMarie
LOL you promise?
The cause: idk. I have a gun, a shuriken star, a bow and arrow, and a very unstable mind to protect myself. Originally Posted by mr666

Growing up I've had a gun pulled on me 3 times in attempted jackings. First time I was saved by a friend who witnessed me getting jacked. The second time I was saved by cousin who was with me when the perp flinched, and 3rd time it was from a classmate who initially didn't recognize it was me at 2 am. Even though I consider my examples exceptions to the rule having a gun is fine but keep in mind that most times it's all about who gets the first drop. No matter how peaceful my current neighborhood is (surrounded by 95% whites) I always stay in a military mind state because I never know if the whites want to target me or if the brothas from the hood want to hit up a nice community.

LS Originally Posted by LittleSpike
Speaking of education. Really Obama said everything is fine? I could swear he's saying the opposite about gun violence. smdh