The Holidays are upon us

So with all the stress that consumes us during this time of year we tend to find comfort in our favorite dishes when sitting around the table with friends and family (as I smell a homemade chicken pot pie in the oven made by gma).

What are your favorite dishes that you only get to enjoy around the holidays.

Unfortuanely my great g-ma just passed a few days ago so this is the first Christmas without her homemade candies and ice box cookies. I better step up and take this over.
  • FSCOB
  • 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Egg nog! I make a great egg nog. It'll knock your socks off!

And sauerkraut balls for New Years!
I had my favorite dish yesterday..man, she was great..oops.. you guys are talking about food..sorry

I had my favorite dish yesterday..man she was great..oops.. you guys are talking about food..sorry

Originally Posted by eglrdr
Well spill the beans who was it that gave you a full belly?
Sorry to hear about your grandma Maci.

I usually load my plate up with the mashed potatoes and stuffing, and pass by the turkey and everything else.....
DB---Thanks, So do you prefer boxed stuffing or homemade? I am a cornbread dressing kind of girl so I dont know the difference of the two.
you know what I am having since you suggested it. Tur duc hen ... Don't know if it will become favorite, but looks promising. I will report back to you maci.
Homemade chicken and dumplings, red velvet cake, collard greens (yeah, I'm a closeted red-neck).

LF
Sorry to hear about your grandma Maci. Originally Posted by Damon Bradley
X1

Well spill the beans who was it that gave you a full belly? Originally Posted by Maci Lynn
Mmmm, I love it ALL, I like the turkey, dressing, sweet potatas, buttermilk pecan pie, and pumpkin pie! Yummmm!
X1

.... Originally Posted by eglrdr
Don't worry, he was well fed.

So sorry to her about your loss, Maci. I am still a southern girl at heart and love all the classics. I will be glued to the kitchen, cooking and baking for the next couple of days (just in case anyone needs to find me) and absolutely love it. Ztonk was kind enough to gift me with some very fancy kitchen equipment that I am eager to put to use. I have a full house of visitors now, but if anyone wants to get together for black eyed peas, cornbread and greens for the NY I am sure that can be arranged. It's good luck!

Happy and very warm wished to you all. Merry Christmas.
Grandma's memory obviously lives on in you, Maci. Do her proud!

I'm the only one who loves candied yams in the family, so that & the baked yellow squash are my fave veggies. My mom makes AWESOME peanut butter fudge and I do my grandma proud w/ her recipe for skillet fudge.

Roxy... that buttermilk pecan pie made me go mmmm!

Sophie... fresh blackeyed peas w/ cornbread & greens! OMG! Add some ham if not vegan & that's a true Southern delight!

Merry Christmas everyone!

p.s. I'm going to be packing so hadn't planned to take time & cook (although I am quite good in the kitchen). If anyone has leftovers, you know who to call! lol

XOXOX

Rhubarb pudding Cake

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
  • 4 cups (1-inch-thick) slices rhubarb (about 1 pound)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 teaspoon powdered sugar

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Place butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add 2/3 cup granulated sugar; beat until well blended. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and egg, beating well. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until smooth.
Combine rhubarb and remaining 2/3 cup granulated sugar in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon batter over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Its best with milk
Don't worry, he was well fed.

So sorry to her about your loss, Maci. I am still a southern girl at heart and love all the classics. I will be glued to the kitchen, cooking and baking for the next couple of days (just in case anyone needs to find me) and absolutely love it. Ztonk was kind enough to gift me with some very fancy kitchen equipment that I am eager to put to use. I have a full house of visitors now, but if anyone wants to get together for black eyed peas, cornbread and greens for the NY I am sure that can be arranged. It's good luck!

Happy and very warm wished to you all. Merry Christmas. Originally Posted by Miss Sophie Bella

I am so there. I have all of it IT IS TRADITION!!!!
Grandma's memory obviously lives on in you, Maci. Do her proud!

I'm the only one who loves candied yams in the family, so that & the baked yellow squash are my fave veggies. My mom makes AWESOME peanut butter fudge and I do my grandma proud w/ her recipe for skillet fudge.

Roxy... that buttermilk pecan pie made me go mmmm!

Sophie... fresh blackeyed peas w/ cornbread & greens! OMG! Add some ham if not vegan & that's a true Southern delight!

Merry Christmas everyone!

p.s. I'm going to be packing so hadn't planned to take time & cook (although I am quite good in the kitchen). If anyone has leftovers, you know who to call! lol

XOXOX Originally Posted by Kit-4-Kat
I am the only one in my family that loves candied yams as well. I like mine with extra marshmellows......YUMMY!!