Tarrifs (Open at your white nationalist heart's risk)

While economists don't think Trump's tariffs will markedly hurt people here, they said the same thing the last time Republicans supported a trade war, in 1930. That didn't turn out so well. Originally Posted by Tiny

Who pays for tariffs? American businesses and consumers

https://nrf.com/blog/who-pays-tariff...-and-consumers

Ultimately, tariffs can mean lower wages, fewer employees, deferred investments and higher prices for consumers. Small businesses are particularly vulnerable, since they don’t have the resources and flexibility to quickly switch suppliers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIkveIicESE

• Tiny
  • 05-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Eccieuser, Please note that Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren stand shoulder to shoulder with Donald Trump on this important issue. They're all big believers in big tariffs. They either don't realize they hurt everyone, or they don't care and are trying to score political points. For Trump, I suspect it's the former, as his lifelong view on trade has not changed, unlike for example his beliefs about higher taxes and abortion.

For Sanders and Warren I'm not so sure, but their position is hilarious. They claim to want to help the little guy but instead are promoting something that hurts the poor and middle class by increasing the cost of things they buy, while helping a very small group of businesses that have the excess capacity and cost structures to be able to replace Chinese imports.

I think intellectual property rights, which the Chinese don't respect, play a big part of this. I am learning more with time. But this is my wheel house. By no means am I an expert, but I can read and put things together from middle management.
  • Tiny
  • 05-11-2019, 12:47 PM
I think intellectual property rights, which the Chinese don't respect, play a big part of this. I am learning more with time. But this is my wheel house. By no means am I an expert, but I can read and put things together from middle management. Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
Agreed, If Trump ends up using this to get the Chinese to do a better job of respecting intellectual property, opening up their markets, and permitting U.S. companies to compete fairly in China, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. I'm fearful that this may end up like the Iraq war. George W. Bush looked like a genius, getting Saddam Hussein to agree to open the country to the nuclear inspectors, then went ahead and invaded anyway.

As to intellectual property, we're not 100% in the right. We want the Chinese for example to make patents on pharmaceuticals last longer. We ought to be cutting the lengths of the patents here, to help with out of control drug costs. And that principal probably applies to some other products as well, besides drugs.

I think intellectual property rights, which the Chinese don't respect, play a big part of this. I am learning more with time. But this is my wheel house. By no means am I an expert, but I can read and put things together from middle management. Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
Yes - they are not respectful of intellectual property rights and they tried to rewrite the deal at the last minute.

Trump caught them with their hands in the cookie jar.

I think even some leftists are with Trump on this point.
As to intellectual property, we're not 100% in the right. We want the Chinese for example to make patents on pharmaceuticals last longer. We ought to be cutting the lengths of the patents here, to help with out of control drug costs. And that principal probably applies to some other products as well, besides drugs. Originally Posted by Tiny

ALL DUE RESPECT: I'd like to learn more about the F part, rather than the D section (I can't help the humor), of the FDA. Specifically when it comes to storage and handling.

I hesitate to go into too much detail for outing personal information, but I hope the picture of my existence is starting to develop. Wreckless personal profiteering chaps my hide. Especially from government officials. Getting into politics used to be a noble cause. His majesty is the antithesis of that.
America is hooked on cheap shit from China sold at WallyWorld.
Kind of dishonest of Tiny to conflate Smoot-Hartley and the Great Depression. Seems he wants us to think that the tariffs tore the hole in the economy. Of course, FDR took years to figure it out and only World War II saved his economic butt.
I opened this thread to give it one star.
Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
So you are now in favor of the Trump tax cuts??
I guess you're just in favor of things that fit your narrative...
https://wealthfactory.com/articles/2...siness-owners/
I opened this thread to give it one star. Originally Posted by gnadfly
I think you over rated it
His majesty's tax cuts didn't favor the small businesses as much as the multinational corporations. You interpret as you see fit. The narrative stays the same. Small businesses that are not public can't buy their own stock and artificially inflate their worth. Because their not up for sale to the public.

Right?
I think you over rated it Originally Posted by Hotrod511

Because this isn't a circle-jerk of a thread.

Look at the # of 4-star threads
Eccieuser, Please note that Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren stand shoulder to shoulder with Donald Trump on this important issue. They're all big believers in big tariffs. They either don't realize they hurt everyone, or they don't care and are trying to score political points. For Trump, I suspect it's the former, as his lifelong view on trade has not changed, unlike for example his beliefs about higher taxes and abortion.

For Sanders and Warren I'm not so sure, but their position is hilarious. They claim to want to help the little guy but instead are promoting something that hurts the poor and middle class by increasing the cost of things they buy, while helping a very small group of businesses that have the excess capacity and cost structures to be able to replace Chinese imports. Originally Posted by Tiny
Trump alone started and then escalated this trade war, he owns it, so please don't pin your disingenuous blame on some gibberish talking liberals for Trump's own doing.