Defamation of character

Hi- I would like some advice on what constitutes and defines 'Defamation of character'. I have been threatened with legal action. Whoever it is wants to take me to court and hired a detective to find my IP address and location. Is posting an ad in the classifieds asking for a persons name stating info that said person gave you constitute 'defamation of character?' I do not have time to consult with an attorney so any help would be appreciated and greatly welcomed. Originally Posted by Buttersbottombitch
Truth is an absolute defense to a Defamation of Character claim.

That means that, as long as you are telling the truth, no matter how hurtful or damaging it is, it is not slander or libel.

However, it is a defense...in other words, what you say in court to refute his claim. It doesn't keep someone from filing a lawsuit and bringing you into court.

It is best to consult an attorney and request they make contact with this person and try to resolve without going to court.

Good luck.
Truth is s defense, if you can establish.

But you're going to have to describe the fact situation a bit more clearly before I can tell you anything else. I have no clue based on what you said what the allegedly defamatory statement was.
Where did the other post(s) go?
Interesting. Ignoring that your responce is spot on, it appears that no posts at all from that user exist on today's version of the server. But, this is all fantasy, isn't it?

Everyone needs a fantasy - Andy Warhol