poetry and the hobby

I have been in the hobby before it was called the hobby. And a line from the poet Fernado Pessoa has always intrigued me: "to pretend is to know oneself." True or false for your hobby time?
yes.
huh?!?
You youngsters wouldn't understand.

Hobby on!
  • Caleb
  • 07-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I know not what tomorrow will bring. So today I chose to celebrate life and its many gifts. Is it fantasy if dreams become reality? Is it reality if these events can only happen in a fantasy world? Does it matter? Love this hobby!
I have been in the hobby before it was called the hobby. And a line from the poet Fernado Pessoa has always intrigued me: "to pretend is to know oneself." True or false for your hobby time? Originally Posted by outoftheblue
One could argue it's true in every context . . .

However, your quote presuposes they have sufficient self-reflection and awareness to pretend to aspire to their ideal, either in choice of ladies, actions, knowledge of their innermost desires . . . and there are likely a few such people.

Unfortunately . . . most of the guys are just trying to get their rocks off for $. I think you'll find your demarcation lies amongst those trying for an experience versus a 30 minute 'bust-a-nut.'

Having now indulged my philosophical bent for the year, I think I'm going to go cudgel my brain into shutting back down.

Chew
Chew,
Well said.
Outoftheblue