Best areas to live in Houston

Hello all,

So I'm originally from Fort Worth but I have been living in New Mexico for the last couple of years and man do I hate it. There is a possibility for me to relocate to Houston with the company I work for. I haven't been to Houston since I was a freshman in high school and I don't remember much about the city. Are there any neighborhoods that you recommend or areas that I should stay clear of?
midtown, west end/rice military are my top picks. but Houston is so damn spread out and offers so many choices for individual lifestyles. many variables are at work when deciding where to live in Houston...do you want an apartment, townhouse, condo or a house with large back yard.....
Where will your office be?
Traffic and crime and school districts are my main concern in Houston
River Oaks is nice.
Where will your office be? Originally Posted by Slitlikr
Midtown.
Lots of good choices midtown if you are into condos.
Many new developments north in Spring/The Woodlands if you want a house and good school district.
River Oaks, Rice, West University, Midtown, Bellaire, Uptown Park, Katy in adjoining Fort Bend County, The Woodlands and Lake Conroe in nearby Montgomery County. If you want a want a chunk of land with affordable taxes, you'll have to commute from farther out, if you can stand our demolition derby traffic.
Sweet! Thanks for the responses guys/gals. Hopefully I'll get this transfer because New Mexico is a special kind of hellhole. I only moved there because it was a job promotion. Never in my life have I had anything that was both a blessing and a curse at the same time.
If you're asking in terms of hobbying, then I would say your best bet is to live in the westheimer/westchase area. That puts you within a stone's throw of numerous options, including plan b's and quickies.

If you're asking in terms of quality of living, check out the Houston forum on city-data.com. This question is asked and answered on there several times a day.
Midtown gets my pick as well...
Hello all,

So I'm originally from Fort Worth but I have been living in New Mexico for the last couple of years and man do I hate it. There is a possibility for me to relocate to Houston with the company I work for. I haven't been to Houston since I was a freshman in high school and I don't remember much about the city. Are there any neighborhoods that you recommend or areas that I should stay clear of? Originally Posted by rxram03

Sugarland does not look sketchy and is close enough to the city. River Oaks is in the city but it's expensive as hell. Woodlands is more earthy and golf-course-like but it's a long drive from Houston. Montrose is all gay and bohemian-like but in a uncool way. Katy isn't too far from Houston but it looks like a spead-out shopping district of chain stores. All in all, Houston is ugly as hell and so your choice really comes down to price and how close you want to be to your workplace. Avoid the eastside because it's ghetto and has a lot of oil refineries so the air is crap. Southwest Houston is very ethnic (that's where you find the real food in Houston) and the no zoning and urban sprawl reality shows off its colors rather well.
Pearland/Memorial