Catalytic converters thefts

What's with this trend of people stealing catalytic converters even an officer was killed because of this last night,
The converters have precious metals inside and that gives them value. Anywhere from 200-2500 depending on the car.
  • Pyle1
  • 04-01-2022, 09:06 AM
They contain valuable metals, rhodium palladium and platinum. I would say be careful where you park but they can steal them so fast unless you park in a locked garage it really doesn't matter.
There is nothing worse than a thief. I despise folks who steal
Moved from coed to sandbox

Yes it's all about the rare metals.
In my area, almost all of the auto salvage yard outfits refuse to take / accept them, unless an entire vehicle comes in. That's a group discussion thing that goes beyond being in competition with each other.
It's been a long term problem here in California. In CA you must have an OEM Cat, and cannot purchase an aftermarket unless you head to NV.

They sell cat shields, but even they can be defeated with time.

My daughter has an early 2000 model Accord I had a mechanic friend who weleded a rebar cage around it.

For some reason the early model Accords and the Prius is a sought-after cat.
Another question why does a lovely lady like yourself not have any reviews on this board? Your pics look hot from the little one can see from the slightly out of focus ones in your image gallery. I assume you must have some on one of the other limited access/operational boards?
Another question why does a lovely lady like yourself not have any reviews on this board? Your pics look hot from the little one can see from the slightly out of focus ones in your image gallery. I assume you must have some on one of the other limited access/operational boards? Originally Posted by Hunteradventurer
Yes I used to be more active on Ourhome but its been down for a while now. I only have one review here, but will be more active here from now on

https://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=2796770
  • BLM69
  • 04-02-2022, 09:28 AM
Moved from coed to sandbox

Yes it's all about the rare metals.
In my area, almost all of the auto salvage yard outfits refuse to take / accept them, unless an entire vehicle comes in. That's a group discussion thing that goes beyond being in competition with each other. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
There's plenty of guys buying these on the street, they will pay up to 1k for the second gen Prius converter so I can only imagine they're selling them for

These thief's are making $1k in a few mins that they're risking their lives getting caught by armed owner, getting crushed by the car. There's plenty of YT videos on both
They have kits to counter the thieves.

Dealers are not innocent bystanders in this issue. Back when people were stealing Fiero seats a friend of mine got his seats stolen. Insurance mostly paid for new seats. The dealer sold him back his seats. How do I know this? When the car was brand new I drop a pen while he was driving. The pen was open and ended up going down into the pile on the seat leaving about a 1" black mark. When he got his new seats I joked about the mark. We looked and there was the mark.
  • Torin
  • 04-04-2022, 12:00 AM
I have one of these kits installed on my own Prius.

So far, no issues.
Houston is all kind of coocoo!!

Stay glocked & loaded and no worries about shenanigans
  • BLM69
  • 04-04-2022, 12:42 PM
Houston is all kind of coocoo!!

Stay glocked & loaded and no worries about shenanigans Originally Posted by Italia DiBella
Unfortunately the thieves come loaded also, they're desperate for the quick easy cash, a few of them have had the car jack fail while they're under the vehicle. That's gotta hurt 🤕
a few of them have had the car jack fail while they're under the vehicle. That's gotta hurt 🤕 Originally Posted by BLM69
Well that's fucking called Karma
Well that's fucking called Karma Originally Posted by Ericka xoxo
Exactly.
So always bank it just in case.