Wine Suggestions?

If I handed you a $20 bill on your way into Specs Liquor downtown and asked you to pick out a decent wine, what would you pick?

I've tried more expensive wines before and I'm just not sophisticated enough to really tell the difference. I've tasted many $10 (or less) wines and been very pleased.

An idea of what I like is the Shiraz from Llano Estacado Winery.

I'm open to all suggestions. My $20 price point (or less) is just a starting point.

I'm lucky to live a few blocks from Specs and happy to try your suggestions whether it's $10 or $100.
  • Trey
  • 09-05-2010, 01:11 PM
MD 20/20 great grape wine.
Chateau Ste. Michelle - Riesling

Good deal. There are Rieslings made by others. I think they have the best
I hear ya Trey.

When I was in basic training back in 91 (Great Lakes), I lied and said I was Jewish so I could attend Temple and drink the Manischewitz.

I've never tried Two Buck Chuck, but I would.

Chateau Ste. Michelle - Riesling
I agree, I had this one. Lots of restaurants have this on the menu too. And it's cheap!
I love moscato.. there are some more expensive but I love the way Robert Modavi's Woodbridge taste. My girlfriends and I had a picnic in the living room with that, some strawberries, cajun turkey, and a good sharp cheddar... excellent
  • R.M.
  • 09-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir goes with anything and its around 12 or 13 bucks at Kroger
ditto on the moscato!
i cant remember the exact name, but it sells at heb.
blue bottle..with silver swirls across the bottom and silver knobby top.
its about 16.99 and believe it or not, its the #2 best moscato!!
the #1 sells for approx $500 a bottle!!!
Thanks for the continuing suggestions.

I've tried Muscatel Wines, but the only one I remember is the one from Messina Hoff Winery (Texas) - Muscat Canelli.
Monte Oton --Garnacha -- Spain
Les Abeilles -- Grenache, Syrah, Mouvedre -- France
Pago Florentino -- Tempranillo -- Spain
Ca' Momi -- Cabernet Sauvignon -- USA

Saracco --Moscato d'Asti -- Italy
A white Bourdeau called Graves
Pinot Noir -
Angeline - $11 but nice
Carmel Road
La Crema
Louis Jardot Beaugolais-Villages is a very smooth burgundy for $8-$9 a bottle.
A white Bourdeau called Graves Originally Posted by 90c2cab
Hey 90c2cab is the wine you mention the one in this article from the Wall Street Journal:

White Bordeaux, Well Worth Seeking Out

If you read this article, it looks as though you're on to something.
$10 = Bogle, 2007 Petite Sirah. Just a wonderful little everyday wine that goes great with pizza, fast food, a "great" meal, convo, w/e. If they sold this in a box, I'd be an alcoholic by the end of the year!

$20 = Abundance Vineyards, 2005 Zinfindel. If $20 is your "everyday" price point...a wonderful little every day wine that goes great with.... Otherwise, just a nice, NICE wine to open for anything (or anyone!) you consider a cut above the everyday!

$30 = Marques de Caceres, Gran Reserva 2001 Rioja. Prob another $1 with tax but well worth it when you just wanna have one hell of a bottle of wine!!
I finally found a thread to which I can call home! Also look at the sheets that specs give out to see what's new and tasty. Some are hit n miss but you might find that hidden gem!