Ive seen cops on every street corner....

I just arrived in Houston for the first time. Sense I have ben here I heard about crime after crime. I see cops on every corner. I went through katy & Galleria area. Is this a bad time to be in Houston?
Thanks for any info!!
No it's the end of the month and they're just trying to meet qouta. Just try calling 911 and it will take them 2 hours to get to you.
Don't know much about Katy, which is typical suburbia, but Galleria is relatively safe. Yeah, you've got crime but mostly those of opportunity, i.e. leaving valuable in plain sight in a car, etc. LE stings or sweeps seem to go in cycles based on political winds but nothing out of the ordinary. If you screen and go with your gut feeling if something doesn't feel right, you should be ok.

And welcome to Houston.
Just stay away from hwy 6!
there's nothing wrong with Hwy6, that's my area.

just screen and use your common sense.

but stay away from Stafford.
I think hwy 6 was mentioned because of the spa raids but those are happening because they are less than a mile from a police station. It speaks to the work ethic of the fine members of LE
Katy is an upscale community (not like River Oaks, of course), so I wouldn't worry about the crime aspect of it. If you're worried about getting attacked, don't. If you're worried about LE, maybe that's a different story.
London, what I noticed every time I travel to Houston is that around the Galleria area you will see a police car parked at certain places and it is empty. I have seen it there several times at all times day/night. They might park cars to try to thwart red light runners/drunk drivers/or whateverf crime. It spooked me the first few times.
Katy is an upscale community (not like River Oaks, of course), so I wouldn't worry about the crime aspect of it. I Originally Posted by Energy
Never thought of Katy as upscale. I will always thinck of it as rice paddies with thousands of ducks and geese .
plainly put...end of month....every major city does the same thing. cops hit the streets to fatten the citys bank account. ought to feel safer knowing there is one on every corner. besides, it is also due to the fact that red light cameras were voted down and deactivated. Once they get going again, the cops will be far and few between.
If you're not doing anything illegal, then what are you worried about?
London, what I noticed every time I travel to Houston is that around the Galleria area you will see a police car parked at certain places and it is empty. I have seen it there several times at all times day/night. They might park cars to try to thwart red light runners/drunk drivers/or whateverf crime. It spooked me the first few times. Originally Posted by Lauren Lane
Lauren, you are right on the money. After the city had to turn off its red light cameras for a while, they started parking old police cars at busy intersections to spook the red light runners.