I'd love your thoughts on this story - 2 men die while trying to jump a bridge in a Chevy

Just out of curiosity, what do you think happened to the driver?

The passenger was found dead in the river & it was assumed he made it out of the car, but then drowned.

"Two Texas men died Friday after they tried to jump over an open drawbridge with their car, authorities said."

1. The driver hit his head & was knocked unconscious, thus not ever realizing he was about to die.

2. Was conscious, could not escape the car & knew he was about to die.

In both car forums I am a member of, people know these guys personally, so I didn't want to ask there & seem insensitive, but it's been on my mind so much since it happened.
I figured this is the next best place I can ask.

I'd like to think that as he was zooming over the bridge he was yelling "This is the best day ever" - BAM - busted his head on the steering wheel, knocking his self unconscious, then dying rather peacefully, not even realizing he was dying.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/24/us/lo...ing/index.html
Have you considered that the airbag may have deployed and prevented him from any head trauma?
People make choices in life. These characters didn't choose wisely.
You can't take the "s" out of stupid.
“Investigators are working to determine whether alcohol or drugs were a factor.”

My money is on “definitely”. There have not been a lot of smart decisions involving alcohol. Also, who in their right mind would think that with no ramp you could clear 165’, more realistically closer to 185’ to get firmly in the other side, in a Chevy Cruze no less.

Looking at the roof of the car it looks like it impacted with something and that could have caused any non-airbag protected injury. My guess is that the driver was under the influence, disoriented, possibly pinned by the airbag and seatbelt and unable to escape. The passenger could have been ejected and injured as a result and drowned, unconscious in the river.

Truly sad though that their families have to deal with the loss.
I’m thincking they watched too many Dukes of Hazzard episodes.....
Natural selection played out.
I’m thincking they watched too many Dukes of Hazzard episodes..... Originally Posted by Russ38
Or my all time favorite Thelma and Louise.
I kinda have to agree with bankshot
Wanna bet the phrase "Hold my beer and watch this" was used in the moments prior to liftoff.

That or "We're gonna make them Darwin awards for sure this year"
Have you considered that the airbag may have deployed and prevented him from any head trauma? Originally Posted by Bowser98
I was thinking the airbag may not have deployed. I know they only go off if the senors detect particular types of impact.
Wanna bet the phrase "Hold my beer and watch this" was used in the moments prior to liftoff. Originally Posted by boardman
I bet you are right. I can't fathom going from such excitement to "fuck we're about to die" in meer seconds.

That or "We're gonna make them Darwin awards for sure this year" Originally Posted by boardman
People make choices in life. These characters didn't choose wisely.
You can't take the "s" out of stupid. Originally Posted by tbone2u
Yep & both these guys had kids. That must be tough growing up knowing you don't have a dad because that fucking moron wanted to jump a bridge in a Chevy Cruz.
I’m thincking they watched too many Dukes of Hazzard episodes..... Originally Posted by Russ38
Or my all time favorite Thelma and Louise. Originally Posted by Prime Time
I've never seen either one of those movies, although I have heard of the DoH bridge scene mentioned many of times.

Natural selection played out. Originally Posted by Bankshot
I kinda have to agree with bankshot Originally Posted by tbone2u
“Investigators are working to determine whether alcohol or drugs were a factor.”

My money is on “definitely”. There have not been a lot of smart decisions involving alcohol. Also, who in their right mind would think that with no ramp you could clear 165’, more realistically closer to 185’ to get firmly in the other side, in a Chevy Cruze no less. Originally Posted by Ned_Filanderer
Exactly. Saying they were trying to determine if alcohol was a factor was very diplomatic of the police. No doubt it was. And you are sooooooo right about clearing the jump. I don't think a 1000 hp car with an 1/8 of a mile start could clear that. 165 feet is HUGE!

Looking at the roof of the car it looks like it impacted with something and that could have caused any non-airbag protected injury. My guess is that the driver was under the influence, disoriented, possibly pinned by the airbag and seatbelt and unable to escape. The passenger could have been ejected and injured as a result and drowned, unconscious in the river. Originally Posted by Ned_Filanderer
Sounds brutal! I was wondering about the roof of the car, I wonder how that happened?
Exactly. Saying they were trying to determine if alcohol was a factor was very diplomatic of the police. No doubt it was. And you are sooooooo right about clearing the jump. I don't think a 1000 hp car with an 1/8 of a mile start could clear that. 165 feet is HUGE! Originally Posted by Brooke Wilde
It's like lifting off at the 50 yard line and putting the car on the ground as you pass between the goal posts! Hell, had they had the distance they probably wouldn't have landed on the ramp on the other side.
I don't think Evel Knievel ever jumped that far and he was jumping with a highly customized 300# bike and considerable planning using physics and engineering.