Ever heard of this?

Has anyone here ever offered/accepted free room and board in exchange for the occasional “favor”? Like a roommate with benefits? I just read an article about it becoming more common and was curious.
Nothing could possibly go wrong with that. One party will think there room is worth $XXX and equates it to Y number of hookups. The other party will think one hookup is more than enough to settle the rent.
Sounds like marriage
The problem is that it's hard long process to evict someone these days and most young 'uns know this. Never expect them to vamoose just because you said so.
Sounds like marriage Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
My thoughts exactly!
The problem is that it's hard long process to evict someone these days and most young 'uns know this. Never expect them to vamoose just because you said so. Originally Posted by johnclark
It’s actually not that difficult to even try someone in Texas. There are plenty of other reasons this isn’t a good idea, but I’m not sure this is very high on the list.
I bet it's not long until room and board becomes room and bored..
It’s actually not that difficult to even try someone in Texas. There are plenty of other reasons this isn’t a good idea, but I’m not sure this is very high on the list. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
I had to evict one of my kids. I had to got to the courthouse, fill out the paperwork, make sure they're not a veteran, go home and post eviction notice and wait 30 days before proceeding. If they dispute it they get more time before a hearing. You're right, not that difficult, but can be a pain in the ass when you have an unwanted hooker in your house.
who's doing the cleaning ...... not me
Sounds let a SO to me so WHY
Exit strategy of a friend in West Texas had similar issues removing an adult child ... solution was install keypad locks on the exterior doors, change the combo when the kid left the house and put all of the kid's belonging in trashbags on the porch along with a note that said something like "you no longer live here and if you break in I will call the sheriff" and if you want to contest this go to the county courthouse and sue me."

And pal was connected by marriage to sheriff on top of that.

Many years later the family reconciled but the "tale of coming of age" still survives at Thanksgiving and other family gatherings!
It’s actually not that difficult to even try someone in Texas. There are plenty of other reasons this isn’t a good idea, but I’m not sure this is very high on the list. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Simple and easy are not the same thing.
Exit strategy of a friend in West Texas had similar issues removing an adult child ... solution was install keypad locks on the exterior doors, change the combo when the kid left the house and put all of the kid's belonging in trashbags on the porch along with a note that said something like "you no longer live here and if you break in I will call the sheriff" and if you want to contest this go to the county courthouse and sue me."

And pal was connected by marriage to sheriff on top of that.

Many years later the family reconciled but the "tale of coming of age" still survives at Thanksgiving and other family gatherings! Originally Posted by ck1942
Lucky the kid didn't take him up on his challenge. In Texas, the penalty for false eviction is $1000 plus court costs, actual damages, and any attorney fees. (plus one month rent, but when there is no rent in play-- that one doesn't matter).
Hi Grace,

Not sure about the law in Texas in the early 2000s, but in West Texas, imo, my bud evinced zero concern about kicking out his then 23 y.o. who had dropped out of college, didn't have a job, couldn't pay his car insurance nor contribute to the household expenses. But we did get him into the Army and he got straightened out pretty quickly.
I was once told - "before you set the fire, know where the exits are..."

Years ago, I had a stripper that didn't live with me, but had a key and came and went as she pleased... It was fun (some times her and a few friends from the club came over), but it comes with a bunch of drama...