Downtown Little Rock

So yesterday I had an appointment in Downtown Little Rock. Living in Little Rock my entire life, I have somehow managed to avoid driving in the downtown area and did not realize what a cluster-fuck it truly is.

As soon as I pull out of the parking lot, my GPS conveniently freezes up. I obviously took a wrong turn somewhere because I ended up seeing a colony of homeless people. At this point, I did what any logical adult woman would do. I drove around in circles (because of all those LOVELY one way streets) for about 15 minutes, cried, then proceeded to call someone to come find me.

If anyone has any words of wisdom for getting around downtown, please clue me in for future reference.

Moral of this story? Downtown Little Rock is terrifying.
I love downtown. Then again I've been hanging out in downtown since before I could drive. I also know how the street buses work.

Downtown is pretty easy to navigate. Broadway is the main road that goes straight through Little Rock and North Little Rock. It also connects to 630.

Capitol is one of the cross streets of Broadway and leads straight from the state Capitol.

The numbered streets cross Broadway away. The lower the number, the closer you are to Markham.

Markham is where the Robinson center, Double Tree, and Marriott are. River Front is where you'll find the bars and restaurants including the River Market and park...and the river...

Hampton Inn and other hotels are located in that area as well. I mainly park on the side of the road or under one of the bridges in the parking areas. I never pay for parking, fuck that.

That's as far as my knowledge for street names go. Other than that I just use instincts to navigate. You aren't really "lost" down there either. Instead of driving in circles (multiple left turns) try taking a right...
Take a cab or uber.and dont ever go to LA or Chicago etc.if littlerock terrifies you wouldn't make it in a real city.
Take a cab or uber.and dont ever go to LA or Chicago etc.if littlerock terrifies you wouldn't make it in a real city. Originally Posted by peter north77
Lol LA driving is no joke. It took a photographer and I 2 hours to drive 20 miles!
When i lived in Chicago and worked downtown it was an hour and a half or 18 miles each way and $6 in tolls so dont ever consider going tbere girl
Take a cab or uber.and dont ever go to LA or Chicago etc.if littlerock terrifies you wouldn't make it in a real city. Originally Posted by peter north77
Well, Peter, not everyone is cut out for the mean streets.

I love downtown. Then again I've been hanging out in downtown since before I could drive. I also know how the street buses work.

Downtown is pretty easy to navigate. Broadway is the main road that goes straight through Little Rock and North Little Rock. It also connects to 630.

Capitol is one of the cross streets of Broadway and leads straight from the state Capitol.

The numbered streets cross Broadway away. The lower the number, the closer you are to Markham.

Markham is where the Robinson center, Double Tree, and Marriott are. River Front is where you'll find the bars and restaurants including the River Market and park...and the river...

Hampton Inn and other hotels are located in that area as well. I mainly park on the side of the road or under one of the bridges in the parking areas. I never pay for parking, fuck that.

That's as far as my knowledge for street names go. Other than that I just use instincts to navigate. You aren't really "lost" down there either. Instead of driving in circles (multiple left turns) try taking a right... Originally Posted by Danielle Reid
Thanks, girl. It kind of helps when you explain it like that. I just couldn't find the interstate to save my life lol. I'll be sure to write this down and keep it in my glove compartment

When i lived in Chicago and worked downtown it was an hour and a half or 18 miles each way and $6 in tolls so dont ever consider going tbere girl Originally Posted by kenzsquatch
Omg I would absolutely die! Fortunately I'm not one of those small town girls with big city dreams. Made me thankful that I've lived in the suburbs my whole life lol.
I meant no offensive Miss Vannah.believe me there certain hoods in Little Rock I dont venture in to.
It helps to familiarize yourself with some landmarks like the Bank of America building vs the other towers. I would map out the circle of Cantrell, I40, 630 and maybe Chester and drive around that both ways a few times and then you can use them to always get a feel of where you're at.

I've worked downtown and couldn't tell you how many wrecks I used to see out of my window involving people going down the wrong way so watch out for others too!
There are actually two ways to get onto the interstate.

If you are close to the River Market, you can follow the signs to I-30 and go to either NLR or back towards I-630.

If you're in the heart of downtown, just follow one of the numbered streets to Broadway.

General rule, if the river it to your right, you're headed in the right direction to Broadway. If the river it behind you, you're alongside Broadway and can still possibly make it to 630
  • mwise
  • 09-07-2016, 12:23 PM
When you want to make a right and you come to a one way left, most of the time you can go 1 more block to make your right. Then you just have to jog back 2 blocks...
Numbered streets run west and east, others run North and South.

Downtown is setup this way so traffic can move more freely...

2 tips, if you want to go to the River Market, take the Main St exit if heading East on 630, but don't turn on Main, go one more block and make a left, its one way and the lights will light up all the way down...

Same for 6th street if you find yourself East of Broadway and need to go West.....
I meant no offensive Miss Vannah.believe me there certain hoods in Little Rock I dont venture in to. Originally Posted by peter north77
Lol I just realized how passive aggressive that smiley made my comment look. That definitely wasn't my intent.
  • kman
  • 09-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Little Rocks not too bad I always come into down town off of 30 and hit the bars or cross the main street bridge and go to North Little Rock but yall are right Chicago and L.A. does suck the worst one I been to is NYC but I drive for a living so most big cities suck
Little Rocks not too bad I always come into down town off of 30 and hit the bars or cross the main street bridge and go to North Little Rock but yall are right Chicago and L.A. does suck the worst one I been to is NYC but I drive for a living so most big cities suck Originally Posted by kman
I couldn't handle driving in a city that big because I have the absolute worst road rage lol
  • kman
  • 09-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Its not too bad you just realize that everyones a ass and they cant help it they were born that way. I used to cuss alot but i dont get stirred up much now hell Im in downtown Tampa, Fl tonight
Get a paper map and look it over real good to see where major highways and streets are. Mark places you need to go to. Chamber of Commerce might have a map. Also try the Littler Rock visitor center; don't know if they have complete city map, but they have maps of driving/walking tours. After you get more used to it, you will find yourself getting around better. Little Rock is really one of the easier cities to drive in. Remember the downtown area is mostly laid out in square blocks. The one way streets you mention are a pain and I wish they would do away with them. It is hard to remember which ones are one way. Don't let yourself get frustrated; getting lost is just another adventure, and I am pretty sure you like adventure!