What if Mike Pence had 'done the right thing' ???

Sometimes when I think back on Jan 6 I like to peek down the rabbit hole of what if Trump had a chance to test the idea of Mike Pence overturning the 2020 election results.

We have seen it from one side a few localities are looking to hold him accountable for the attempt and that is a mess for sure but surely 10x as much legal action would have been taken to challenge him actually staying in office. No question it would have reached SCOTUS more quickly than most cases and given the ‘evidence’ we have today most likely would NOT have ruled in Trumps favor. Plenty of questions/concerns about that election but SCOTUS is not going to connect dots they would require PROOF. I say Trump loses that case.

The 2022 mid-terms were thought by many to be bringing a ‘Red Wave’ but that did not happen so what would it have looked like whether Trump stayed or tried and got ousted by a court ruling? Dems would rally for big numbers to try and prevent Republicans from gaining a majority in the House and Senate and we already saw a number of Trump candidates fall where they were thought to have an edge. If he didn’t have Congress and was facing dozens more legal challenges would a second Trump term be able to get much done?

Had Trump stayed and been sent home by SCOTUS and unable or unwilling to run for this Nov election who would the Republicans had to try and oust papa Joe? Maybe Trump could get behind someone or that might just backfire but who would have risen to the top for the GOP?

I would argue that this reality is likely better than one where Trump had to step down a couple months into 2021.
I wonder what if Mitch McConnell had done the right thing and corralled the Republican Senators in impeaching Trump the second time around. If he had I dare say neither Biden or Trump would be in the race right now.
I'm pretty sure that after 1/6, Pence knows that if he would have done the right thing, he would have hung up on Trump's sorry ass the second Trump asked him to be his VP. Working for scum like Trump does not help your career aspirations. It kills them. Any affiliation working for him should be the last thing anyone should want on their resume.

Imagine if you are a mild-mannered guy like Pence. He put up with Trump's outlandish bullshit for 4 plus years. And then one day, you realize your former boss has just sent a bunch of retarded goons after you and others he is mad at to the capitol to hurt you because you actually follow the law and acknowledged the transition that the majority of the people wanted in this country... oh well, Pence signed up for it so fuck him for being dumb and naive enough to trust nasty sewage waste like Trump.
... And now Pence's political career has come to a sad end.
At least as a Republican...

... Pence surely found out just how UN-Popular he really is.

#### Salty
Just another notch in the Trump 'got my nut n left em for dead' march towards a second term.

Some like Rudy G and Christie contributed to their own situations but Pence did not deserve to be demonized so that an ego mad former President can try to maintain a lie that even he does not believe.

I think the fallout for all involved had Pence signed off on 'stopping the steal' would have been much worse and could have sparked a Dem surge but maybe it would have brought reform and a modernization of the Republican party that left Americans better off than we were a decade ago.
... And now Pence's political career has come to a sad end.
At least as a Republican...

... Pence surely found out just how UN-Popular he really is.

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
The truth is that Pence hasn’t left the Republican party but rather the Republican party is no longer in existence. They still call themselves republicans but they have morphed into the religion of Trump. And like most religions the first commandment applies.

“I am the LORD your God You shall have no other gods before Me”.

If you aren’t with Trump you are against Trump and therefore the enemy.
You are not wrong and it sure seems like Trump has the attention of the Republican party but I think he is still a carpetbagger to many who may not speak it publicly but find him more of a RINO. You hit it on the head he wants to be godlike and that works when a Biden is on the other side and Trump seems to be the only remedy.

I think if Trump got Pence on board it would have backfired in ways that would probably have found many current supporters turning back to the party and denouncing the Donald. The party would have had to work to separate themselves but some will never ever entertain the idea that 2020 was not 'stolen' so again I find the outcome from that election to have been better than the alternatives had he actually stayed and forced out
There is no republican party. Just a bunch of dummies and idiots. I'm unsure the party will ever recover. Maybe there will be a new Whig party or something.
Sometimes when I think back on Jan 6 I like to peek down the rabbit hole of what if Trump had a chance to test the idea of Mike Pence overturning the 2020 election results.

We have seen it from one side a few localities are looking to hold him accountable for the attempt and that is a mess for sure but surely 10x as much legal action would have been taken to challenge him actually staying in office. No question it would have reached SCOTUS more quickly than most cases and given the ‘evidence’ we have today most likely would NOT have ruled in Trumps favor. Plenty of questions/concerns about that election but SCOTUS is not going to connect dots they would require PROOF. I say Trump loses that case.

The 2022 mid-terms were thought by many to be bringing a ‘Red Wave’ but that did not happen so what would it have looked like whether Trump stayed or tried and got ousted by a court ruling? Dems would rally for big numbers to try and prevent Republicans from gaining a majority in the House and Senate and we already saw a number of Trump candidates fall where they were thought to have an edge. If he didn’t have Congress and was facing dozens more legal challenges would a second Trump term be able to get much done?

Had Trump stayed and been sent home by SCOTUS and unable or unwilling to run for this Nov election who would the Republicans had to try and oust papa Joe? Maybe Trump could get behind someone or that might just backfire but who would have risen to the top for the GOP?

I would argue that this reality is likely better than one where Trump had to step down a couple months into 2021. Originally Posted by DNinja69
I get your point. I don't like your writing.

Anyway, if Pence had done "the right thing", he would have broken the law. He knows the law. He followed the law.

I'm pretty sure that after 1/6, Pence knows that if he would have done the right thing, he would have hung up on Trump's sorry ass the second Trump asked him to be his VP. Working for scum like Trump does not help your career aspirations. It kills them. Any affiliation working for him should be the last thing anyone should want on their resume.

Imagine if you are a mild-mannered guy like Pence. He put up with Trump's outlandish bullshit for 4 plus years. And then one day, you realize your former boss has just sent a bunch of retarded goons after you and others he is mad at to the capitol to hurt you because you actually follow the law and acknowledged the transition that the majority of the people wanted in this country... oh well, Pence signed up for it so fuck him for being dumb and naive enough to trust nasty sewage waste like Trump. Originally Posted by Lucas McCain
I always liked your writing. Even more now, now that there's a little fire in it. "Tell me how you really feel?" Right?

Anyway, Pence is a decent man, from all accounts. Misguided, maybe. But decent. As the leader of the Senate, maybe he could have rallied the troops the first time Dumpster was impeached.

He would be the man in charge. How crazy would that have been? He just doesn't have the balls. He's not cutthroat. That would have been a stain that could be washed off. Now the Party has a stain on its soul.

Forever.