Starbuck's Gun Policy

Starbucks makes it plain that they are not Pro Gun or Anti Gun.
They simply would like for people who have carry permits to choose not to carry a weapon in their establishments.
This is common sense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/bu...fee-shops.html

In Texas, we have a concealed carry law. It is very strict. If you do have a CCP in Texas, you have to conceal the weapon so that a reasonable person cannot tell if you are armed, or not.

If you do mess up and show the weapon in public, and someone sees it, you just committed a class A Misdomeanor. That is a pretty heavy charge.

With gun ownership, and gun carry rights, we must never forget that basic rights should always be tempered with a good dose of common sense and responsibility.
They simply would like for people who have carry permits to choose not to carry a weapon in their establishments.
This is common sense.

In Texas, we have a concealed carry law. It is very strict. If you do have a CCP in Texas, you have to conceal the weapon so that a reasonable person cannot tell if you are armed, or not.

If you do mess up and show the weapon in public, and someone sees it, you just committed a class A Misdomeanor. That is a pretty heavy charge.

With gun ownership, and gun carry rights, we must never forget that basic rights should always be tempered with a good dose of common sense and responsibility. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Home brewed coffee is best.
Starbucks is just trying to protect the laptops from being shot up.
Getting that caffeine rush. Plus price rage.
It's an interesting position to take since my guess would be that a prohibition on carrying in Starbuck's establishments would have very little effect on their bottom line. Especially if they just limited the prohibition to the cowboys who want to strut around pretending they're badasses with a Glock holstered on their hip.....and who, by the way, are the first motherfuckers getting shot by any armed criminal perpetrating a robbery, assault, etc. that doesn't have his head up his ass.

I've never understood open carry, it makes no sense. I don't want criminals to know I'm carrying. I want the option of acting if it's necessary....or not. I don't want the criminal pointing his shotgun at me because he knows I have a firearm.

I'd pose this question as well to the folks on the board who carry: if you're carrying concealed in a public place, let's say a restaurant, and a guy walks in toting a 12 gauge pump gun or an AR15, what is your reaction to that going to be in this day and time? Or if you're in an elevator and a guy steps on carrying an AR15 while you stand there with your wife and your 8 year old little girl?

In any of those situations, I'm not opening fire but I am damn sure going condition red and would bet there's gonna be an adrenaline dump that ratchets up the likelihood of an accident or a misunderstanding.

Open carry is stupid and unnecessary and probably dangerous.

This is common sense.

With gun ownership, and gun carry rights, we must never forget that basic rights should always be tempered with a good dose of common sense and responsibility. Originally Posted by Jackie S
.... Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Oh, by the way, fuck you Whirly'tard.
Oh, by the way, fuck you Whirly'tard. Originally Posted by timpage
You should know by now that Whirly's solution to the problem is for EVERYONE to carry and crime will disappear.
This is common sense.

What would someone in Texas be charged with, if they have a CCP and it just so happens that someone notices a portion of the gun through clothing or a partially opened jacket without the intentions of the permit carrier?
Timmie the OP was about CCW carriers and you're going on about open carry. Open carry is legal in many states though many of the police don't take kindly to it. Back to the OP, if you are carrying concealed how do they know? If you're doing it right. How many molesters frequent Starbucks? Should they have to out themselves in some way since no one wants to be around them? The whole point (that Timmie missed) is that as a private business Starbucks has a right to post a sign that says don't carry in this building but depending on the state it may or may not have any legal force. Starbucks has not done that. He has not said that you CAN'T carry, he just prefers that you don't. Okay, I've heard your plea and my rights are more important to me than your fears.
Timmie the OP was about CCW carriers and you're going on about open carry. Open carry is legal in many states though many of the police don't take kindly to it. Back to the OP, if you are carrying concealed how do they know? If you're doing it right. How many molesters frequent Starbucks? Should they have to out themselves in some way since no one wants to be around them? The whole point (that Timmie missed) is that as a private business Starbucks has a right to post a sign that says don't carry in this building but depending on the state it may or may not have any legal force. Starbucks has not done that. He has not said that you CAN'T carry, he just prefers that you don't. Okay, I've heard your plea and my rights are more important to me than your fears. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
I agree that what Starbucks did means virtually nothing. The NY Times article states "Nevertheless, customers in many stores have been jarred and fairly uncomfortable to see guns in our stores, not understanding the issue and feeling that guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience, especially when small kids are around. ". But then the article goes on to say that no signs explaining the policy will be posted and customers who come in with guns in holsters will not be asked to leave. Ridiculous.

Question -- you state that even if an establishment posts a sign that handguns can't be brought in, that some states may not have a legal force to enforce that. I know Texas enforces such a restriction. Do you know what states do not enforce it? In those states, how does a business keep guns out and be able to enforce it?
  • CJ7
  • 09-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Starbuck cashiers always ask if you're armed before they ring up $10 for a cup and a muffin...
What would someone in Texas be charged with, if they have a CCP and it just so happens that someone notices a portion of the gun through clothing or a partially opened jacket without the intentions of the permit carrier? Originally Posted by acp5762
The law states if you intentionally reveal your handgun, you have committed a crime. If it is covered by a coat, and you stumble and the coat flys open and someone sees your handgun, you are probably ok. But you might still have to take a ride.

Texas does place upon the holders of a CHL a greater responsibility than those that do not.

A good example. If you get caught in a hooker sting, and you are armed, and have a CHL, that will be a Class A Misdomeanor. If you are not armed, you will forfeit your CCL as you cannot hold a CCL if you are convicted of a crime equal to or greater than a class B Misdomeanor.
Question -- you state that even if an establishment posts a sign that handguns can't be brought in, that some states may not have a legal force to enforce that. I know Texas enforces such a restriction. Do you know what states do not enforce it? In those states, how does a business keep guns out and be able to enforce it? Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
well they have a right not to serve you ...plus they can ask anyone to leave.
...plus they can ask anyone to leave. Originally Posted by JCM800
.. and if one doesn't leave after being instructed to leave .. it's trespassing.