Social Changes

Although serious crime has decreased in the U.S., the rate of imprisonment has dramatically increased. What social changes do you think may have occured since 1994 that could have influenced the constant increase of imprisonment rates in the U.S.? And what social changes do you think would be necessary in order to decrease the rate of imprisonment?
more executions ?
Lol, well yes, a first class ticket to death row would definately decrease the rates
The 3 strikes stuff has led to very long sentences even when 2 of the 3 crimes are relatively minor felonies (like pot possession), so people keep going in but dont come out as fast.
1. Getting rid of the foolish idea that somehow it's cost effective to get "tough on crime," or that prisons are the appropriate place for all but the worst offenders.

2. Using cost-benefit analysis on whether to imprison people instead of emotions.

3. Eliminating prison as an option for drug offenses

4. More liberal parole and pardon policies, particularly of older inmates who are unlikely statistically to recidivate.
All of these are really good perspectives. I also think that public offical's fear of public outcry and civil liability is another factor.
Well, I guess that could be applied to Tex's #2 lol
all good answers...and ditto!

we need to be harsher on certain crimes and maybe the message will get across!!!
Social changes to decrease imprisonment.? Wow.. thats deep Ma'am. Probably the best thing is to make sure people that get out of prison , get out and stay out of the prison system. I think Churches and Civic Organizations are usually the best that can deal with people exiting the prison system.
What social changes do you think may have occured since 1994 that could have influenced the constant increase of imprisonment rates in the U.S.? Originally Posted by LAVixian
Private, for-profit prison businesses.

And what social changes do you think would be necessary in order to decrease the rate of imprisonment? Originally Posted by LAVixian
Softer enforcement/prosecution would decrease the rate of imprisonment. But not lessen crime rates.

Not sure where you're headed with this, maybe decriminalization of certain types of "chemical" product sales?
Just wanted to get some research input on different thoughts. Thanks everyone.
  • LynnT
  • 01-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Some of its advancement in technology. Better forensics for finding DNA, etc. More people are getting caught.

Also more people are aware of things since 9/11.

I do think they should put more focus on rehabs, mental help, and in home arrest programs. Cut down on inmate population.

On an average it cost $26,000 to house an inmate for 1 year. This tax money can be better spent IMO.
Although serious crime has decreased in the U.S., the rate of imprisonment has dramatically increased. What social changes do you think may have occured since 1994 that could have influenced the constant increase of imprisonment rates in the U.S.? And what social changes do you think would be necessary in order to decrease the rate of imprisonment? Originally Posted by LAVixian

It is in part due to privately own prisons. There is a lot of incentive and money for imprisoning people more now than ever. In addition there are more arrests for non violent crimes such as prostitution, and drug usage.

See this article: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...rivate_prisons
I have a lot to offer on this one....lol

No 3 strikes
decriminalize weed
Shot the Mother Fuckers who hit women/kids
Shot the mother fuckers who rape
Bad parenting (allow spankings, that is not hitting)
Let felons work real jobs
While in prison, chain gang their asses! Lower our taxes too!

I have a lot more, but I'm out of time....
I have a lot to offer on this one....lol

No 3 strikes
decriminalize weed
Shot the Mother Fuckers who hit women/kids
Shot the mother fuckers who rape
Bad parenting (allow spankings, that is not hitting)
Let felons work real jobs
While in prison, chain gang their asses! Lower our taxes too!

I have a lot more, but I'm out of time.... Originally Posted by Tiffany Cums
+1