Great...now you can be located from your photos..

• Satin
  • 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Did anyone see or hear about this new technology called "geotagging"? There was a story on channel 11 today ( Khou.com) whereas someone can track your exact location in real time from a picture taken from a smartphone..
So when you post pictures on social sites such as facebook, you can be easily tracked.
There is also a website called www.icanstalku.com that talks about it and sends tweets that tells you about it. The website talks about the technology and also how you can disable this capability on your phone.

A Houston officer talks about how dangerous it was and the potential it has for the future.

Damn, what's next?
Ain't that some sh*&%...Big Brother just won't let it go!
Thanks Satino. I just set my camera locator to off on my Iphone
Yes, you can download the "Opanda" soft ware to read the digital photos.
That's why I moon everyone.
Thanks Satino. I just set my camera locator to off on my Iphone Originally Posted by tbone2u
When you turn your phone on ... it locates.
  • Seedy
  • 01-22-2011, 02:45 PM
That's why I moon everyone. Originally Posted by pyramider
Lmao. Apart from that, that is seriously wacked, jeez next they'll be shoving a locator beacon up your ass.
That's why I won't use FourSquare and have my phone's camera set to not give a location. Plus, I won't get a CC that has the swipe tech and definitely won't allow them to put an RFID in me, should they ever decide that one is for the greater good. And I'm far from being a tinfoil hatter...
When you turn your phone on ... it locates. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Not if you turn the GPS off. I can do it with my EVO, I am sure the IPHONE is the same.
Did anyone see or hear about this new technology called "geotagging"? There was a story on channel 11 today ( Khou.com) whereas someone can track your exact location in real time from a picture taken from a smartphone..
So when you post pictures on social sites such as facebook, you can be easily tracked.
There is also a website called www.icanstalku.com that talks about it and sends tweets that tells you about it. The website talks about the technology and also how you can disable this capability on your phone.

A Houston officer talks about how dangerous it was and the potential it has for the future.

Damn, what's next? Originally Posted by Satino
Actually, it is worse than you think. While smartphones may geotag a photograph, people's cameras do similar things. If you get the OPANDA software that reads the Exif data in a digital picture, you will find that pictures can record the owner's name, the type of camera, the serial number of the camera, the date/time the picture was taken, etc. In short, if you are trying to UTR, don't post pictures unless you strip out the metadata before you post it.

Judge
Not if you turn the GPS off. I can do it with my EVO, I am sure the IPHONE is the same. Originally Posted by Shake_N_Bake
All phones can do that, and must have the option to switch GPS off to be sold in the US. it's FCC mandate, and the option automatically switches to "on" when 911 is dialed.

Damn, what's next? Originally Posted by Satino
Yea! and new way to stalk you hobby hubby....LMAO...you better watch out this bitter, old, fat, loud mouth, abrasive personality, man hating hobby wife might be standing outside the strip joint in the bushes next time you're out and about....BWAH-HAHAHAHAHAHA....

..Hobby Hubby, I need a strip-joint ngt..make it happen....
Awesome post
Most people could care less and some want the feature. Not everyone is in the hobby. Plus how do they track you if you don't post the pics to FB MS until later?

I remember when the first GPS attachment came out and was reviewed on CNET.com

It was meant for people who wanted to have something to tell them were a pic was taken on vacations. Plus it talked about what if you had a pic that was 10 years old and you and your friend were debating where it was when you took it. The GPS tag would solve the debate.

Plus in your photo album you could sort pics by location. Let's say you wanted to look at all the pics you have taken from your favorite bar. Geotaging makes that easy as a few clicks.
I love the geotagging feature. I can browse my photos by location, and see which photos were taken where. Outside the hobby, it's a fantastic feature.