Bill Cosby and rape culture

a lot of people have different opinions; what are yours?
Ah blame Obama.
Ah blame Obama. Originally Posted by David.Douchehurst

An' ah's wif yew on thet one, Abner.
Very sad....
  • Toyz
  • 11-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Cosby raped me back in 1981, I remember it like it was yesterday. He said to me "Toyz, you want a chocolate pudding pop"?

And of course I said "Sure Dr Huxtable".

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=8

Next thing I know I wake up in my boxers watching reruns of the Cosby show and thinking wondering how much Lisa Bonet would want for doggie...

I am lost on this one..

On one hand...I do not want to believe it is true ...My dad was a Marine man and after... a very hard working stubborn union man so he was away a lot and when ever I watched Cosby it was like "substitute dad" ..he was the family man type my dad was when home.....

One the other hand.....so many ladies are speaking out.... From life experience I know all it takes is one brave victim/survivor to speak up and the scared/silent ones finally speak up.....\\
where there is smoke there is fire

Then again from life experience when one person lies about a such a serious thing others jump on the band wagon and feed off each others stories.....

In the end only those who witnessed/Cosby and lady knows the full truth...

I have been reading where some knew/thought they were raped but yet went back over and over again??????????
I have been reading where some knew/thought they were raped but yet went back over and over again?????????? Originally Posted by VictoriaLyn
Don't listen to my ex-wife! She's Bat Shit Crazy!
Absolutely no incentive to sue a multi millionaire.
Originally Posted by mrhamm
yep, yep and yep!
Not right but funny
In the end only those who witnessed/Cosby and lady knows the full truth... Originally Posted by VictoriaLyn
Absolutely no incentive to sue a multi millionaire. Originally Posted by rockerrick
Yet being loaded doesn't preclude the possibility of being a serial rapist.

IMHO, the only way to make any sort of reliable determination (in this or any other sort of he-said/she-said offense) is to investigate the veracity of the accusations and that includes the credibility of the accusers. But in our society that has become taboo because many see anything short of unwavering belief in any and all sexual assault accusations as impugning the very idea that rape is evil - though it's usually couched in false concerns over re-traumatizing the alleged victims (of they were really concerned about the individuals, and not merely their political agenda, they'd do what they could to keep it from happening again by separating the actual rapists from the falsely accused). It's become more important to never question a woman alleging sexual assault than to separate actual rapists from those falsely accused. Then when inconsistencies in an alleged victim's account come out, or it turns out the accused never even met the accuser, it really does cast doubt on all the other cases, and does more harm to the just condemning of sexual assault (thereby reinforcing rape culture) than actually investigating the allegations and accusers ever could.

The short-sightedness of a fear-driven culture never ceases to dismay me.
Yet being loaded doesn't preclude the possibility of being a serial rapist.

IMHO, the only way to make any sort of reliable determination (in this or any other sort of he-said/she-said offense) is to investigate the veracity of the accusations and that includes the credibility of the accusers. But in our society that has become taboo because many see anything short of unwavering belief in any and all sexual assault accusations as impugning the very idea that rape is evil - though it's usually couched in false concerns over re-traumatizing the alleged victims (of they were really concerned about the individuals, and not merely their political agenda, they'd do what they could to keep it from happening again by separating the actual rapists from the falsely accused). It's become more important to never question a woman alleging sexual assault than to separate actual rapists from those falsely accused. Then when inconsistencies in an alleged victim's account come out, or it turns out the accused never even met the accuser, it really does cast doubt on all the other cases, and does more harm to the just condemning of sexual assault (thereby reinforcing rape culture) than actually investigating the allegations and accusers ever could.

The short-sightedness of a fear-driven culture never ceases to dismay me. Originally Posted by Centaur
ARE YOU SERIOUS?
Make that mofo take the lie detector test from the guy that Dr Phil uses. We can cut through the bullshit and get to the truth in no time flat.
ARE YOU SERIOUS? Originally Posted by chelseabean
It would be a pretty tasteless thing to joke about, no?

And yes, I think many, if not most, people make up their minds before any investigation into the allegations, and that they do so based on preconceptions about what they think the consequences of it being true or not true will be, with little real regard for the actual people involved. Minimizers scoff at the idea that so-and-so raped someone, or assume it's unlikely because of who the accused is. In direct reaction against that, others suggest that any questioning of the alleged victims' accounts is tantamount to rape-denial. This isn't an opinion; it's an observation of how lots of vocal people react when news such as this becomes public knowledge. It's one example of an even more pervasive problem in how our society confronts criminal or moral accusations, the rush to judgement. Whether it reflects how the majority react or merely a vocal minority, I could not say. It is my opinion that the rush to judgement makes it harder to determine what actually happened, and therefore affords protection to anyone who actually commits sexual assault.

If you disagree, please, by all means, argue with my arguments, or tell us your opinions. You did, after all, start the discussion.