Critique Thread for Photographers

She said I can get creative, so I put the lamp shade on her head.

I needed an opportunity to use the wide angle lens ...

Originally Posted by DaNastyTruthArt
Looks pretty darned cool! The tilt and negative space behind her really works in the second one.

Thanks for sharing!

Love, Love, Love these two shots.
  • R.M.
  • 04-22-2017, 12:11 PM
DSC_0900 copy.jpg
I want to do some body painting soon.
Attachment 645389
Taking selfies, most everyone knows you can shutter one hundred photographs...to find ONE decent one. Getting better. Taking a class at the moment. Please give critique on above. Personally, I liked it. Completely untrained eye, however.

Appreciate it.
- January Maye, W. Texas
The lack of focus is...annoying, at best. Lighting is ok, because it has some drama.

What am I supposed to, want, with this photo??
Attachment 645389
Taking selfies, most everyone knows you can shutter one hundred photographs...to find ONE decent one. Getting better. Taking a class at the moment. Please give critique on above. Personally, I liked it. Completely untrained eye, however.

Appreciate it.
- January Maye, W. Texas Originally Posted by January Maye
Great concept and I LOVE the hair and expression. This sort of lighting is a little beyond the dynamic range of digital, B&W film might have worked. If you try it again see if you can somehow put a reflector over you to even out the light, that will help the auto focus lock on as well. As Randal points out, out of focus and soft focus aren't the same.

I was in El Paso all week, drove it once a couple of years ago to lug camera equipment to shoot a model mayhem girl who flaked, but got an outstanding shot of El Capitan on 4x5 film.

Please keep trying, and, though I don't really hobby anymore, I'd love to shoot some available light B&W with you sometime! I'm there at least every other month.

This may be very poor form on my part, but I really wanted to play with you (your image that is). I tamed the hot spots, used smart sharpen to try to shift attention from your halter top that is in focus to your eyes and converted to B&W. The idea is to take out the color, and other details to force attention to your lovely face.

I hope you don't mind.

• R.M.
  • 05-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Not afraid of it any longer.

Not afraid of it any longer. Originally Posted by R.M.
Yeap, lighting can be fun and frustrating at the same time. Get to know these three words (practice, practice and practice) when dealing with lighting ... they can be your best friends.
  • R.M.
  • 05-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Yeap, lighting can be fun and frustrating at the same time. Get to know these three words (practice, practice and practice) when dealing with lighting ... they can be your best friends. Originally Posted by DaNastyTruthArt
Thank you very much. Words of wisdom. I try to practice as much as possible.

DSC_1108.jpg
Hi RM,

I don't normally like the subdued vintage colors of your clothsline shot, but it works very well in this case!

Shooting primarily in hotel rooms, as I'd guess you do, means you are going to be limited on lighting. I've tried fancy, multi light set ups in a hotel room exactly. . . once (never again).

I bought a couple of these with the idea of putting a wash rag over the top of an open door then one of these to mount a speed light on. Never tried it though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But, theoretically, one of these, a remote speedlight and shoot through umbrella should be portable, inconspicuous and afford more flexibility.

I picked up something like this also that gives an interesting effect. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1288037 The two combined would be great but I've never been in a hotel room that wouldn't require at least one light stand for a two flash set up.

The last shot looks great by the way!
  • R.M.
  • 05-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Thank you I will order those two items off Amazon. I am trying to practice one a day. Some times it doesn't happen.

DSC_1176-Edit.jpg

I needed an opportunity to use the wide angle lens ...

Attachment 641789
I want to do some body painting soon.
Originally Posted by R.M.
Thank you I will order those two items off Amazon. I am trying to practice one a day. Some times it doesn't happen.
Originally Posted by R.M.
+ccphoto i lost his comment

you guys have amazing artistic eyes.. i love your styles.. its never too much of something
the photos got taste to them.. light is perfect.. angle is amaaazing.. the character of the photos is extraordinary.. not to forget the character u give to the clients.. u guys make a story to tell from a photo

im impressed really
I usually stay pretty close to my local forum. So, I just stumbled onto this thread. I'll play a little bit.

Here's some of my recent work. Have at it.