Giving it up for Lent

OK, so Lenten season is upon us repentant Catholics once again and the same annual question presents itself.....What am I going to give up for Lent?

Instead of my usual tongue in cheek answer of, "I 'm giving up abstinance for Lent", I thought I'd be serious this year. So, I'm giving up Blue Bell, the pre-dinner nachos and I'm going to try to keep on the one meal (fish or veggie, of course) on Friday plan.

I also challenged myself to give up something really difficult.....My regular hobby schedule....I am going to allow myself just 2 sessions, instead of my usual 1-2 per week, until after Easter.

I then got to thinking.......is this sacrilegious? Should I give up hobbying altogether during Lent? Should I not give up hobbying at all and keep it seperate from any religious thought?

What do y'all think? What are y'all giving up?
dude--think aboout what you are saying? Are you fucking serious? You are going to give up hobbying on this and that day, but its ok on this day...etc...

Im not sure if you are married or not-either way, based on the religion we supposedly practice--it is wrong. That being said, there are people who are catholic out there doing far worse than paying for blowjobs or fucking providers on their way to meet their wife for dinner...so dont feel so bad as a human being; now as a catholic, maybe thats a different story...

As far as lent goes-the message conveyed in the Fort Worth diocese-or at least my parish--says that its not about just giving something up-such as snickers bars. It could be you doing something positive--i.e. volunteering, doing something in the community/making a difference, etc. This year, my solution is to do P90X-for personal reasons--this will benefit me , my family and every one around me. Just try to do something positive...
Don't forget that Episcopalians (Catholocism Light) also practice Lent. As an Espiscopalian, I'm giving up sweets. In the past I've given up chocolate but wanted to step up my sacrifice this year. Next year I may make it all sugar.

until i was about 13 or 14, my mom took us to catholic church. was baptized, had 1st communion, and was confirmed [whatever that meant]. it just never resonated in me.

so, the idea of giving up something for 42 days during lent just seem hypocritical to me. "hmmm, if i just give this up until easter, i can continue w/ it afterwards."

why not just give it up all together? or replace it with something more positive??

i just dont see the sense in giving up something for just a short time frame and then backsliding into it.

guess i'd rather do what i do all year round.
I've often wondered about how many here considered such things. I too have seriously considered giving up hobbying the next 42 days. Maybe that will be enough to remove the desire, or empower you to just say no. Drez the fact that you're even considering making your body a living sacrifice is enuf reason to go thru with it. See what happens and get back with us . . .
And I will say here too fried chicken
Don't forget that Episcopalians (Catholocism Light) also practice Lent. As an Espiscopalian, I'm giving up sweets. In the past I've given up chocolate but wanted to step up my sacrifice this year. Next year I may make it all sugar.

Originally Posted by HoneyRose
Don't worry Blondie a couple of remedial Latin lessons and you can come in the fold, heck we will even let you keep your book of Common Prayer.

For me I was thinking about giving of the hobby, nah just carbs but I do love me some pasta.
Drez63,

Give it up completely for lent. Isn't it kind of a mockery to say you're partially giving it up for lent?
Point taken, BigEddie..it is kinda like saying I'm only going to give up the first two bites of chocolate, isn't it?'.;.Ok then...it's decided till Easter........no hobby, no Blue Bell, no appetizers. I'll keep y'all posted.
During Lent, We're not supposed to eat meat on fridays. I guess there will be a reduction in oral sex for the next few weeks !
Originally Posted by HoneyRose

...but I ain't going to give you up sweetie!!!

M
forget it
I personally think more of you ladies should "give it up" for lent!
Point taken, BigEddie..it is kinda like saying I'm only going to give up the first two bites of chocolate, isn't it?'.;.Ok then...it's decided till Easter........no hobby, no Blue Bell, no appetizers. I'll keep y'all posted. Originally Posted by drez63
Should I go ahead and put you down for the day after Easter!!!!!