What makes for a fake ad?

As a newbie to this hobbie, I've run into an issue selecting friends. I know the safest bet is P411 or reviewed providers here or on TER. However, the quickest first pass to find someone in my area is definitely BP. The system I've been trying, mainly in theory so far, is to find an ad I'm interested in on BP, then do the time-intensive search to ensure its not a phone number tied to multiple ads and checking to see if the lady had reviews or really any online presence other than a BP ad.

Thus comes my question: Is there any set of criteria that definitely sets apart a real ad from a LE sting or a general scam? Are there any other common touchpoints in ads that might be red-flags? (e.g. little to no text, lack of any pictures). Also, the reverse of my first question. For example, I'd think nudity in the ad would exclude the possibility of it being a LEO.

Anyways, just thought I'd try to find out as it seems the BP community is the most vibrant place to find providers in my area but I'd like to improve my screening efficiency.
Here are a few suggestions I posted: http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=74769
Thus comes my question: Is there any set of criteria that definitely sets apart a real ad from a LE sting or a general scam? Are there any other common touchpoints in ads that might be red-flags? (e.g. little to no text, lack of any pictures). Also, the reverse of my first question. For example, I'd think nudity in the ad would exclude the possibility of it being a LEO. Originally Posted by Desdicado
Brief thoughts:
  • Nothing you see in an ad is going to determine that the poster is NOT LE--they can do virtually anything in the furtherance of enforcement
  • Depending on the location, just posting on BP can signal a fake ad. In some venues (like AR) verified provider post on BP, but that is not always the case
  • Run the pic on tineye.
  • Do not believe anything on BP or shop there. I used to spend some time there, but no longer. Too many reports of cash and dash off BP. And, you can actually get hurt.
Brief thoughts:
  • Nothing you see in an ad is going to determine that the poster is NOT LE--they can do virtually anything in the furtherance of enforcement
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Yeah, there are all kinds of "rules" out there about what LE does in stings/ads, some of them even contradictary. For example "LE always uses out of town numbers" or "LE always has local numbers so someone traveling is safe"

Or the quality of the writing (good or bad) isn't indicative of a trap. LE can easily CrAfT ***1*** oF tH000se aNNoYing Adds 2 SOOO tHEy FiT In (probably with some 60 year old male desk sargent as the copywriter)

Same with the content. LE can use vulgarity, nudity or even specific acts. In fact listing specific acts may attract an easier mark.

The best method I've found for ruling out LE is to ask her if she'll do outcall (even if you decide to see her at her incall). This isn't foolproof (nothing is), but it is much easier to execute a sting catching multiple johns by setting up in a few rooms in a hotel/notel than it is running all over town.

The other advice I'd have if you are hobbying locally is to scan the alerts on this and other hobby boards. When there is a bust reported in the news, take note of the "how" & "where" (in large metros, there are multiple municipalities and they will have varying interests in proactively working this) -- not to say methods won't change over time...
Brief thoughts:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Absolutely, and it goes both ways.
You can't really rule 'em out. If they want you, they will find a way to get to you. Be it provider or hobbyist. Job hazzard.
Thanks for all the solid detail. I'd never heard of tineye before and that has already saved me a ton of effort on screening. Thanks for helping me move a little further along the learning curve safely.
One way is eliminate some chances of a fake ad is to find a provider that peaks your interest and then cross reference to SHMBs. If there are reviews check and see who is reviewing.
SHMBs??????
If there are reviews, make sure the contact info in the ad matches the review site.
SHMBs?????? Originally Posted by charlestudor2005

Silly Hooktard Message Boards like the p, escraps, here, indys, ter, bigdog, etc.