Innumeracy

• 04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
So a Facebook buddy just posted the 'fact' that the surface area of the Earth is roughly 197 square miles; missed six zeroes.

I'm not saying the right answer should be obvious, but shouldn't it be obvious that 197 is the wrong answer?
Agreed. Perhaps it was done in haste, not thinking about the post.
Sadly, a large percentage of the people probably wouldn't blink if you told them the diameter of the Earth is 197 square miles.
wait it's not?

Austin covers more than 197 square miles. 292 and some change actually.
There's an entire website dedicated to Facebook humor such as this.

http://failbook.com/
Fb is the worst thing to happen to society...ever. It is narcisistic reverse voyeurism. Who cares if you just got your nails done. Compounding this is the ability to express your stupidity to the world (a al "the land mass is...") and think they care. The plus is that it gives everyone the ability to see and sort their "friends" by intelligence very quickly. That being said, I have to go update my status to tell everyone that I just had coffee and heard a funny joke.
Fb is the worst thing to happen to society...ever. Originally Posted by ChrisS
That's a purdy bold statement Chris......I was gonna say bottled water
  • Booth
  • 04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
So a Facebook buddy just posted the 'fact' that the surface area of the Earth is roughly 197 square miles; missed six zeroes.

I'm not saying the right answer should be obvious, but shouldn't it be obvious that 197 is the wrong answer? Originally Posted by 78704
The word "insular" comes to mind.
That's a purdy bold statement Chris......I was gonna say bottled water Originally Posted by TheCandyMan
Some would say High Fructose Corn Syrup.