Literally helping 1 person at a time...

• ~Ze~
  • 09-06-2017, 06:36 PM
For some reason, no matter what I have on my personal plate, I ALWAYS have a spot for wanting to help others.

The last two weeks, I have been trying to find a way to help a older lady local to me. She pushes 3 shopping carts, never asks anyone for anything, and is just content watching people and minding her own. I've started talking to her and have gotten to know ways that would help.

She loves knitting, which is awesome, because I am trying to teach myself. It gives me something to break the ice with while I sit to try and dig more out of her.

Helping people in this scenario is always touchy. I am not trying to be her savior or completely solve all her needs. I just want to make her daily life a little better.

From our conversations, I gather that she is pretty content. There are days when she wishes she could get to a community center for meals, but because of weather or situations it makes it difficult. I believe this is because of her belongings.

Spending a week calling and researching local ordinances for my wild idea isn't what I would call "fun" but the thought that this WILD idea might actually work makes it worth it.

I am in the process of asking a couple of my local businesses (mostly mom and pop joints) if they would be willing to donate a parking space behind their building for her to park at.

Not with shopping carts and trash bags... but with a wild and incredibly simple Push Cart Gypsy Wagon.

Attachment 688057

Between research, scavenge, stuff I have in my garage... I can build a better version of my inspiration for about $500.

This will provide security, protection from elements, storage, privacy, and is lightweight enough for her to move herself even with her belongings inside.

Why am I posting this you ask? DUH. It is all about community support. I am willing to put in the time, effort, sweat and eventual blood from a random hammer to the thumb.. are you willing to help fund this crazy idea?
As long as you have her buy in, you know I'll help.
  • BLM69
  • 09-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Ohh boy lol, not laughing at you ZE
I'll help. But that looks like a pull cart. Things are easier to push
than pull.
  • ~Ze~
  • 09-06-2017, 10:30 PM
I'll help. But that looks like a pull cart. Things are easier to push
than pull. Originally Posted by lgbsfu
That image is only the base inspiration. I am building and testing this myself, and the goal will be for easy push. Over curbs, ramps etc. You should see my sketch ups.
your ideas have merit, continue to update us on your progress
I love the idea...the concept and the reality.
Sweet Idea... I love helping others...
M.M.
AWESOME IDEA. I hope I can helpout on it.
  • Crock
  • 09-11-2017, 02:02 PM
I'm in.

How are you going to receive the funds?
  • ~Ze~
  • 09-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Funds are easy to transfer via Google wallet.

I start making sawdust on this when I get back to Seattle at the end of the week.
Interesting amazon wish list, are you planning an escape or a tour around the country?
  • ~Ze~
  • 09-20-2017, 04:42 PM
I am an adventure nomad.
I would put some windows on it .. I like it tho
Certainly don't want to disparage your benevolence, but first a random thought or two.

First suggestion is to get some perspective from a community policing officer (yes, a Dallas LEO, or whatever community) about the potential perils of the cart. And to its pusher.

It might well make the lady a target. For perps and who knows what else.

My empathy goes out to the street people, always. Sometimes even a few dollars.

But most social workers I know personally and professionally usually counsel that these folks can often benefit from existing social services, assuming, of course, that a homeless person is willing to accept some support.

Applauding your effort, I am, but counseling you to be prepared for disappointment,too, and even possible outright rejection.