Concealed Carry Permit

• PT4ME
  • 02-10-2012, 10:36 AM
All I can find is a picture of the news article. Searches result in just the picture of the same. I have no idea how old it is, or if it's even true. BUT, it's still pretty damned funny!

You go Grandma!!
  • zebra
  • 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Just goes to show you dont under estimate anyone. .45/ 7 rounds, Glock 9 mm/ 15 rounds, and a .38/ 6 rounds. She packing heat brother!
I am sure many of the fine ladies and gents among us carry. Legally or otherwise. I heard a wise man once say "always carry; never tell."

And even though it doesnt read like self defense, I thought this was another good "heat" story:

~ Last Thursday Night Around Midnight, A Woman From Houston, Texas Was Arrested, Jailed, And Charged With Manslaughter For Shooting A Man 6 Times In The Back As He Was Running Away With Her Purse. ~

The following Monday morning, the woman was called in front of the arraignment Judge, sworn-in, and asked to explain her actions.

The woman replied, "I was standing at the corner bus stop for about 15 minutes, waiting for the bus to take me home after work. I am a waitress at a local cafe. I was there alone, so I had my right hand on my pistol in my purse hanging on my left shoulder. All of a sudden I was spun around hard to my left. As I caught my balance, I saw a man running away with my purse. I looked down at my right hand and saw that my fingers were wrapped tightly around my pistol. The next thing I remember is saying out loud, "No Way Punk! You're not stealing my pay check and tips." I raised my right hand, pointed my pistol at the man running away from me with my purse, and squeezed the trigger of my pistol 6 times!

When asked by the arraignment judge, "Why did you shoot the man 6 times?

The woman replied under oath, "Because, when I pulled the trigger the 7th time, it only went click."

The woman was acquitted of all charges. She was back at work the next day!
  • zebra
  • 02-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Funny!!!!!
I learned an important life lesson in high school. Don't fuck with old people ... they don't fight fair.
She is my new Hero.
we should all be packing heat, with the country going the way it is. The economy crashing, more people thinking about taking the easy way out and steal,

Finally convinved my SO to carry, she goes to the range 3 times per week to practice and is VERY accurate with all of our weapons rifles included.
Just remember that your SO is proficient if she finds out you are hobbying.
I am sure many of the fine ladies and gents among us carry. Legally or otherwise. I heard a wise man once say "always carry; never tell."

And even though it doesnt read like self defense, I thought this was another good "heat" story:

~ Last Thursday Night Around Midnight, A Woman From Houston, Texas Was Arrested, Jailed, And Charged With Manslaughter For Shooting A Man 6 Times In The Back As He Was Running Away With Her Purse. ~

The following Monday morning, the woman was called in front of the arraignment Judge, sworn-in, and asked to explain her actions.

The woman replied, "I was standing at the corner bus stop for about 15 minutes, waiting for the bus to take me home after work. I am a waitress at a local cafe. I was there alone, so I had my right hand on my pistol in my purse hanging on my left shoulder. All of a sudden I was spun around hard to my left. As I caught my balance, I saw a man running away with my purse. I looked down at my right hand and saw that my fingers were wrapped tightly around my pistol. The next thing I remember is saying out loud, "No Way Punk! You're not stealing my pay check and tips." I raised my right hand, pointed my pistol at the man running away from me with my purse, and squeezed the trigger of my pistol 6 times!

When asked by the arraignment judge, "Why did you shoot the man 6 times?

The woman replied under oath, "Because, when I pulled the trigger the 7th time, it only went click."

The woman was acquitted of all charges. She was back at work the next day! Originally Posted by steverino50
Sorry to burst your balloon, but that story is bullshit. It is not legal to shoot a robber in the back as they run away from you and pose no more threat. No judge would get away with that ruling. If you have a link that proves otherwise, please publish... I'd love to follow up.
we should all be packing heat, with the country going the way it is. The economy crashing, more people thinking about taking the easy way out and steal,

Finally convinved my SO to carry, she goes to the range 3 times per week to practice and is VERY accurate with all of our weapons rifles included. Originally Posted by otrdriver
We've been over this before, so I won't belabor the point or repost all the global stats, but remember... if you're carrying, your odds of getting shot are higher than if you aren't. It has to do with false sense of security and situational escalation.

Be safe...

L4L
  • Alice
  • 02-20-2012, 08:19 PM
People who know how to drive and have a license to do so get in far less fatal crashes than those who do not. If you are going to carry a gun you should know how to use it.

The study in which I think Lust is referring to does not go into detail on how many carriers had permits to do so. There is probably one out there, but I haven't found it.

My sister has recently started going to the shooting range. She takes her 3 kids with her. She wants to feel safe in her home and one of the best ways to do that is for her to have a gun handy if an intruder breaks in. With 4 people in her home being trained to use a gun properly they are safer than not having any protection at all.

The best advice I can give to anyone with a gun is not to point it unless they are ready to shoot it. Hesitation, I would guess, makes up a huge number of people being shot while armed. Although, the study didnt give details on that either.
NRA offers Youth Firearms Safety courses. Eddie Eagle stuff. I used to instruct them years ago. In my dreams I made some of those kids safer.
People who know how to drive and have a license to do so get in far less fatal crashes than those who do not. Originally Posted by Alice
This is a valid analogy, but not in the way that you think. Getting a drivers license and driving a car greatly increases your odds of getting injured or killed in a car accident. Same with getting a concealed permit and carrying a gun. Yes, a licensed driver is more likely to avoid an accident than an unlicensed driver (I'm assuming this), but a non-driver is much more likely to avoid an accident than a licensed driver.

If you are going to carry a gun you should know how to use it. Originally Posted by Alice
No question. Agree 1000%

The study in which I think Lust is referring to does not go into detail on how many carriers had permits to do so. There is probably one out there, but I haven't found it. Originally Posted by Alice
I have not seen any correlation in any study with permit holders vs non-permit holders, and I assume that permit holders would fare better than those that are untrained. However, the main cause of increased odds of getting shot and/or killed when carrying a gun was immediate–and in many cases avoidable–escalation of a conflict situation due to the presence of a gun.

My sister has recently started going to the shooting range. She takes her 3 kids with her. She wants to feel safe in her home and one of the best ways to do that is for her to have a gun handy if an intruder breaks in. With 4 people in her home being trained to use a gun properly they are safer than not having any protection at all. Originally Posted by Alice
I think that's insane. Her three kids are no threat to an intruder in a home invasion situation. If it becomes apparent that they are armed, they immediately become targets. Do you really want to paint a target on your kids?

The best advice I can give to anyone with a gun is not to point it unless they are ready to shoot it. Hesitation, I would guess, makes up a huge number of people being shot while armed. Although, the study didnt give details on that either. Originally Posted by Alice
I agree with this 1000%. I'd bet that hesitation, which can be the split second it takes to assess a situation (which is part of training) gets a lot of people killed. I'd suggest that you forget about the pointing rule and not even make a gun visible unless you're already applying pressure to the trigger.

There are some bad choices to consider in the context of guns, assaults, home invasions, etc.. If you're unarmed, you are more likely to not get shot and live... but more likely to end up getting robbed, suffering a bad beating, getting sexually assaulted, etc.. We all need to make choices. My goal is to help people understand the choice that they're making and to not be fooled by any false sense of security that the NRA idiots would have you believe. But in the end, I'm all for freedom of choice. The planet is getting a little too crowded in any case.

Cheers,

L4L
My dad started teaching me about firearms when I was about 6 years old.
I am very proficient with any firearm now, know how to use them and be
safe with them also.

The problem with firearms is the same problem with everything else out there.
There are a lot of stupid careless people in the world, what else is new.

That has nothing to do with my right to own and/or carry a firearm.
If someone doesn't know how to handle one, or a situation involving
the use of one I'm sorry, wish I could have taught them a few things.

That still has nothing to do with my rights.

Should we all stop driving automobiles because of all the stupid careless
drivers out there. Bet the stupid and careless would still be on the road.

Why does liberal thinking always seem to follow these lines.
(Because Joe Doe is stupid I should give up my rights to help
compensate for his lack of ability and/or intelligence)

Sorry don't buy into that. Same as the idea that rich people
are evil so lets all be poor together. Don't buy into that ether.

False sense of security comes through lack of ability.
Another liberal idea, the elimination of personal responsibility.
  • Alice
  • 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
I guess I didn't make my analogy clear. I should have said licensed drivers get in far less accidents than unlicensed drivers who get behind the wheel.

I don't agree that teaching children the proper use of firearms is insane at all. I think having a gun in a home without teaching your child gun safety is pretty nuts.

By the time I was 12 years old, I knew how to properly load, unload, lock, unlock, aim, and shoot. With that, I also knew a gun was not a toy. I believe in using the minimum amount of threat needed in order to protect. If I have a gun pointed out of fear then someone is in serious danger of being shot. If I get shot trying to protect myself I can live with that.. well, unless I'm dead and then I wouldn't live with it,of course.

I think owning a gun does give me a feeling of control. Maybe, I do have a false sense of security. That's certainly something to think about.

As for my sister, If someone breaks into my sisters home she at least has a chance to defend not only herself but also her children. The main reason the kids are going to the gun range is for the gun safety course. She would never have a gun in the house any other way. Kids are not defenseless and helpless creatures and knowledge is by far everyone's greatest asset.