RIP PERCY SLEDGE...

I grew up in a very small town on the MS/AL border. As a teenager, I used to hang out in a small night club and dance with Percy and his band playing. I was too young to drink but could go in and dance. He may be gone, but his music will live on.
That is very cool..................I assume this is before he got his big break with the Muscle Shoals recording of "When A Man Loves A Woman" ?

I think the name of his band back then was "The Esquires" ???

I grew up in a very small town on the MS/AL border. As a teenager, I used to hang out in a small night club and dance with Percy and his band playing. I was too young to drink but could go in and dance. He may be gone, but his music will live on. Originally Posted by alaine
No....That song hit the top of the charts around 1966....so this would have been after his popularity took a dive. So mid 70's he was again playing in the small clubs again. He actually was dating a sister of one of my friends and they were together for several years. He actually started out as a nurse...imagine that, a black male nurse in the early 60's.
When a man loves a woman.................
Is this about Sister Sledge?
Good stuff, and that is one of my top favorite songs!!