Austin is now a Hand Free City and use of many Hand Held Devices could now cost you up to $500

Effective January 1st we are now a much safer city it seems. At least according to the hype.

Driving home a little bit ago I passed an Austin Police Department Squad Car in the lane next to me that was going about 5MPH slower than the Posted Speed Limit.

As I passed I looked over at the officer driving..... Who was looking at the computer screen mounted to his right with one hand on the keyboard.

In thinking about it their Radio Systems require them to reach for and click to talk either taking the mic from it's mount on the dash or reaching for the one usually at their shoulder.....

How are these activities not as illegal as the new law they are now tasked at enforcing?

I think a news crew that spent the day cruising and following squad cars could easily film a number of examples of officers in traffic running plates, talking on radios, etc....

What do other's think about this new progressive action the city has taken.....
It has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with a new revenue stream. The city gets you for $500 and I bet DPS will fine each violator an additional $250 and call it a surcharge.
along the same lines: I learned about "lane splitting" on a motorcycle from a Houston cop... he actually recommended it, with a few cautions.. Some time later, in Austin, I was pulled over by a m/c cop for doing exactly that. the m/c cop that pulled me over was riding side by side with another cop.. "lane sharing".. I told him about the cop that taught me, and I was told in response.. "well, we're police officers and get special training (BULL SHIT) so we can do it.. " Just like the blacked out cop cars, while that dark tint is actually illegal in Texas, but again, the response is "well , we're officers".. LOL Next time, if it happens, I'll video the Q&A with the "officer" and see how it works in court.
  • Noid
  • 01-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Duplicate thread in National-a question of legality. See my response there.