Bullies... the 4 legged kind.

So, I really do not know where to put this. It isn't a trade thing or I would put it in the ISO. I am really looking into getting one of the following breeds: french bull dog, boxer, american bull dog (not a pit) or english bull dog (maybe). I have had big dogs all my life and prefer bully breeds. I just love them! I would love a cane corso, but don't think the landlord would like that!

I tried the rescue thing and that just did not work out, at least, with one particular rescue organization. If anyone has info. on where to get one of these breeds, please pm me.

Someone around here has got to know where to find a good deal! No back yard breeders or anything like that, please.

Thanks,

Scarlett
Hey missy, are you sure that you have considered all relevant breeds with the same temperment?

Attachment 316494

Go to an AKC show and talk to the breeders who are showing there. Perhaps this is an investment that allows you to collect stud fees. I've heard of several great rescue dogs, but also some bat-shit crazy ones.
  • My0my
  • 05-28-2014, 06:45 AM
My $.02 is that saving a life can be a win win choice. Doesn't have to be a specific rescue organization. It might take a bit of patience but will be worth it!
As a former dog trainer and veterinarian student I would recommend an ambull or a cane for general temperament, trainability and overall health. An english bulldog is a vet bill with legs, and frenchies aren't much better. As a former Neapolitan owner I would tend to gravitate toward the cane (I got a soft spot for the Italians). If you have any specific questions feel free to PM I can talk dogs for days and molossers for months.

unless your landlord has a breed specific rule if they allow a boxer a cane in general would be smaller ( if higher energy)
My $.02 is that saving a life can be a win win choice. Doesn't have to be a specific rescue organization. It might take a bit of patience but will be worth it! Originally Posted by My0my
In general and with me specifically I fully support reputable rescue groups, locally Austin Pets Alive is tops, but unless you are looking for a pitty or a chihuahua they aren't much good. I also can't speak highly enough of paws of Austin if you are looking for a great dane. Austin Humane Socoity will often get in boxers and ambullx That said getting an older dog coming from an unknown background isn't for everyone and I don't believe in pressuring someone to get a rescue if they don't think it is the right route for them.
So, I really do not know where to put this. It isn't a trade thing or I would put it in the ISO. I am really looking into getting one of the following breeds: french bull dog, boxer, american bull dog (not a pit) or english bull dog (maybe). I have had big dogs all my life and prefer bully breeds. I just love them! I would love a cane corso, but don't think the landlord would like that!

I tried the rescue thing and that just did not work out, at least, with one particular rescue organization. If anyone has info. on where to get one of these breeds, please pm me.

Someone around here has got to know where to find a good deal! No back yard breeders or anything like that, please.

Thanks,

Scarlett Originally Posted by Scarlett De Rossi
which rescue did you try (i'm familiar with a lot of them)
did you try ausitn pets alive?
  • My0my
  • 05-28-2014, 08:46 AM
In general and with me specifically I fully support reputable rescue groups, locally Austin Pets Alive is tops, but unless you are looking for a pitty or a chihuahua they aren't much good. I also can't speak highly enough of paws of Austin if you are looking for a great dane. Austin Humane Socoity will often get in boxers and ambullx That said getting an older dog coming from an unknown background isn't for everyone and I don't believe in pressuring someone to get a rescue if they don't think it is the right route for them. Originally Posted by Bob McV
I agree on both accounts re: older dogs and exerting pressure (or, rather, not).
I love it! I've had some form or another of bully breeds and all of them have been adopted by me, a 120 lb American Bulldog, 45 lbs of pure muscle in the form of an American Staffordshire, and now a Boston Terrier who is every bit as tenacious, loyal and athletic as the former.

Adoption is tricky, I very much agree with you, I got them going through pure bred rescues as adults and not only is the interview and vetting of you a difficult process I can say in all honesty that I received each and every one of them undisciplined, untrained and completely out of control. Nothing like a huge dog you must contend with right from the beginning.

Luckily at the time I had a large property, the dogs had "jobs" and I have a bit of training acumen and am a committed trail runner and could exercise them until they fell exhausted in the back of the truck. Even at that, it still took months and months and continuing training; they are tough, stubborn, think they're superior (they are) and smarter than you (they are)

I have to say I'm loving this Boston breed. Every bit the bulldog in tenacity, loyalty and calmness of character, but with that terrier vivacity and spunk that is so endearing. I was after a Frenchie but I'm so glad I didn't. The Boston is every bit a s cute and charming and with a nod to heat over 75 ( those short-nosed bastards can't do heat and/or humidity at all) he will run the trails with me all day, portable, not much expense in food, easy coat, and you can wash 'em in the sink. A great dog and perfect if for a small house and yard or apartment.

I always loved and preferred big dogs, the bigger the better but holy shit, day in and day out it's a lot to deal with even the lazy Cane!
Just my 2 cents.
what?! Cane's are one of the most active of the molosser breeds (fila brasileiros are also very active) . They lure course like greyhounds! (albeit it not quite at 30 MPH) Neopalitan mastiffs on the other hand will nap until there is a reason not to, and english mastiffs are even bigger lumps in the carpet. (but not quite as drooly (Mastiffs they only snore when they sleep, and only drool when they breathe))

Sounds like you got a great boston I have known a few that had some health issues ( all short nosed related) and I fully agree with your temperament assessment.
I have been considering the Boston Terrier, too! How funny! All but one of my bullies have been rescues, from the pure bred organizations, as well. They all had some sort of issues, but don't we all?! I have/am taking a lot of time and consideration in my choice.
At this point and time, I don't think it would be right for me or my new family member to take on an untrained adult beast!! I have done it before, but my living situation does not allow for that right now.

I don't really know much about the Boston Terrier breed, but I am definitely more interested now. I had a friend that had one and it was as cute as could be with a pretty good temperment.

The other concern I have is life span. Boxers don't live that long. My last baby and bff only made it 5 years. I can't go thru the heartache of watching another dog suffer with a lot of health problems. I know there is no guarantee with any of them, but would rather avoid that.

I wasn't too happy with the local boxer organization.
Thanks for input guys and gals. The patient search continues!
[QUOTE=Mr Peabody;1055367306]Hey missy, are you sure that you have considered all relevant breeds with the same temperment?

Attachment 316494

Go to an AKC show and talk to the breeders who are showing there. Perhaps this is an investment that allows you to collect stud fees. I've heard of several great rescue dogs, but also some bat-shit crazy

Mr.Peabody, I think you just want me to just adopt you!

I had a Sharpei growing up. No thank you! It had too many allergies and was too aggressive. Maybe they are good dogs, but they just don't appeal to me.
Hi! I have 2 English bulldogs of my own and foster for a English bulldog rescue. They are absolutely amazing dogs but you really have to prepared for not only the breed specific issues you will run into with the bullie breed but with your vet bills as well. They're a very high maintenance breed. If you are still thinking about a bullie though I wish you would rethink rescue... I foster for a English bulldog only rescue and we have some great dogs that are looking for a permanent home. Pm me if you want any info
I have been considering the Boston Terrier, too! How funny! All but one of my bullies have been rescues, from the pure bred organizations, as well. They all had some sort of issues, but don't we all?! I have/am taking a lot of time and consideration in my choice.
At this point and time, I don't think it would be right for me or my new family member to take on an untrained adult beast!! I have done it before, but my living situation does not allow for that right now.

I don't really know much about the Boston Terrier breed, but I am definitely more interested now. I had a friend that had one and it was as cute as could be with a pretty good temperment.

The other concern I have is life span. Boxers don't live that long. My last baby and bff only made it 5 years. I can't go thru the heartache of watching another dog suffer with a lot of health problems. I know there is no guarantee with any of them, but would rather avoid that.

I wasn't too happy with the local boxer organization.
Thanks for input guys and gals. The patient search continues! Originally Posted by Scarlett De Rossi
i have a boston beagle mix. he looks like a pittie but doesnt have any pit in him. (had a dna test done). hes a great dog
Hi! I have 2 English bulldogs of my own and foster for a English bulldog rescue. They are absolutely amazing dogs but you really have to prepared for not only the breed specific issues you will run into with the bullie breed but with your vet bills as well. They're a very high maintenance breed. If you are still thinking about a bullie though I wish you would rethink rescue... I foster for a English bulldog only rescue and we have some great dogs that are looking for a permanent home. Pm me if you want any info Originally Posted by synderella
I have met and fostered several english bulldogs in my time, and love the temperament, and personality of the ones I have met. but knowing what I do about health issues, and the fact two of my vet friends said they would disown me if I got one ( the third said he would sill be my friend as he always wanted a Lexus) I just can't in good conscious get one, but dam the photos of them passed out on the tile are too cute!
If you want to avoid the health problems and short life spans that are often the norm with purebreds, I would strongly suggest going with a mutt. Austin Pets Alive has a lot of puppies right now (a few that don't have pit in them, if that's a must), and even if they aren't exactly what you're looking for, they're pretty darn cute Also, every time someone adopts from them, they save another dog from a shelter. I got one of my dogs from them as a puppy. He's a boxer, red pit, Catahoula mix, and at 6 years of age, has had zero health problems. He's gorgeous, people stop him on the street to tell him so My Rotties had 2 year hip guarantees, and both had hip problems from age 3 on. My family's dachsunds were ALL a mess. I have a friend who is on her second Boston (from a second "reputable" breeder) in 5 years because of multiple health issues. Never again, for me, unless it's a rescue.

http://www.austinpetsalive.org/adopt/dogs/