Where to buy decent clothes/shoes in Austin

Admittedly, I don't have much fashion sense. Where would you recommend to buy somewhat classy clothes and shoes. I need clothes for going out to 6th St as well as really nice clothes for job interview/fancy restaurant type of stuff. My new "job" will require more than looking like a slob in t shirt and jeans, besides I wanna quit this job and get a better one.

Walmart is out of the question.

I look at GQ magazine and wonder "can the majority of the people who buy this magazine afford this stuff?" Then again, I got my subscription for free!

Also where can I get a good haircut from someone who speaks English?

I need recommendations for a gym/personal trainer as well.
Guy trends in Round Rock is awesome for hair cut. The ladies there are great.
Gyms is all about exactly what are you looking for..you could join the YMCA if you like swimming and just working out, Gold's gym, fitness 24 and the others might be more of a singles place.
As for clothing, I think you just have to try looking at the mall or downtown shops. I wouldn't know where to go for guy clothes. I have a hard enough time trying to find clothes for myself.
I can help you with all of this, I must say without sounding terribly arrogant that I have rather good taste in men's and women's accoutrements. PM me if you're serious lovie.
I'm in my 50's so keep that in mind. I buy my business attire at Brooks Brothers on 6th. For cheaper version Jos A. Bank is always running unbelievable specials. Buy 1 get 2 free etc... Otherwise Neiman Marcus in the Domain has all the fancy names of Brioni, Zagna, Hugo Boss etc.. I've spent a fortune on that stuff.
Now were talkin, derek303. However, I cant help but think I could get the same brands cheaper somewhere else; the overhead and taxes of a building in downtown would inflate the cost of the product, astronomically. I could probably buy the same stuff for quite a bit cheaper in some other city.

Where would such a place be?

Thanks for your input Victoria and Valentina!
  • My0my
  • 06-07-2014, 03:07 PM
If you are serious about this, consider approaching it in the same manner that you have decided to approach the hobby, which is to immerse yourself in an online discussion board frequented by enthusiasts. Or if not an immersion, at least look around and gather the information that is so conveniently assembled there. One such place is the StyleForum. There are others.

If your interests include business wear such as sport coats, suits, etc., I can point you toward some of the best that Austin has to offer. Although in general your point about overhead is true, keep in mind that in business wear there is a huge range of quality, and you will have to work extremely hard, and have some luck, to get high quality without spending a lot of money. Relatively. Also keep in mind that BB is a large national chain, and there are economies of scale that offset their downtown rent. BB also has an outlet nearby. The outlet only carriers their lower tier lines.

Then again, if you're just starting out, it is not necessary to start with the highest quality garments. If you are looking for the best deals, you can sometimes find them at the Nieman Marcus outlet at 360 and Lamar. Similar to but a little better than the Nordstom outlets around town, though they can also have gold nuggets on the cheap. But that's where the legwork comes in.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want to get further into my views on it.
I'm in my 50's so keep that in mind. I buy my business attire at Brooks Brothers on 6th. For cheaper version Jos A. Bank is always running unbelievable specials. Buy 1 get 2 free etc... Otherwise Neiman Marcus in the Domain has all the fancy names of Brioni, Zagna, Hugo Boss etc.. I've spent a fortune on that stuff. Originally Posted by derek303
+1
You might also consider some stores like Dillards, Macy's,the Men's Wearhouse they have a decent selection and can have good deals when there is a sale. You might also consider some of the Outlet Stores around.

As for gyms, Golds Gym has many locations in town and across the country, in case you travel much. There are several other gyms around the area. As far as personal trainers pretty much all the gyms have trainers available for members to hire and they typically do not allow outside trainers (trainers who are not associated with the gym) to train at their gyms.
When I'm in a pinch and I want professional assistance, good quality clothes for a reasonable price, I hit Nordstroms.

I have a meeting this week and needed a few Business casual outfits. I went to Nordstroms yesterday. An older gentleman helped me out...he was fantastic. I was obviously in a hurry and he sensed it so he got me in and out in 30 min with some great stuff (for not a lot of money...it ain't cheap, but it ain't Nieman's either).

Plus they have a great bistro so you can grab a bite while your shopping.
So, Jagger guy, you realize that you will look like a run-of-mill businessman unless you take Ms. Valentina up on her free offer. Also most times, good styling can hide some of your fat.
Hummmm......

I know that Nordstrom has personal shoppers. You make an appointment, explain what you would like, and they bring the store to you, in a private room, to try on.

Or... I would hire a local Stylist. A professional, with a great rep. Who has well established, go to, relationships, and places to pull unique things. Make an appointment, have the conversation. Send them out to shop. Select the pieces you like, and pay them 10% or so commission, of the total you decide to purchase.

Keep it simple.
I've never found decent men's clothing in Austin.

Best to drive to Houston. Go to Sid Mashburns and then drive down the block to Suit Supply (a Dutch company that will make you a 'bespoke' suit for about $1K from fabric/styles you select).

Austin's good for a lot of stuff. But not for suits and less casual attire.
Agree with Tatonka on The Mens Wearhouse. They have nice clothes IMO and the prices aren't too bad. The really nice thing I like is the employees always seem to have good taste and can put stuff together that looks good. Jos A Banks also is worth a look. They have sales all the time.
Thanks! Keep it up everyone. I am going shopping this weekend.
When I was in Nordstroms a few weeks ago they said all their summer stuff will go on sale the 13th. I plan on hitting them up for some shirts. Nat Nast and Tommy Bahama stuff.
Jager, it never hurts to take a look at Neiman Marcus Last Call in Brodie Oaks; I have found some real gems there through the years, but it's very hit or miss.