Can the hive recommend a good hobby phone/plan

Hi! I am looking for a discrete hobby phone and discrete plan. Do I need to find a pay as I go phone? Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thank you!
google voice on your existing phone
Google voice is a good option. There are also apps for IOS/Android that will give you a separate number. Pinger is free to text and minutes are cheap.. Something like 300 for $5 or $10 or something. You can also always get a cheap throwaway phone, like a TracFone. Walmart/Target has a whole wall full of cheap prepaid phones.

You need to be VERY careful if you're using your real phone number. NOT a good idea IMO because there are many things that can go wrong if the wrong person has it.. Think soliciting for appts, late night calls/texts or worse. It's always good to be cautious in the hobby... Discretion is key!
Thank you for the advice! I will look at those options mentioned being discrete is a must. Thanks again!
Actually Google phone freaks some people out.
I use a trac phone to communicate and pay cash only. Never any way to trace ownership. Very pleased for the things that are important to me.
Cheap trac phone, 6 to 10 bucks almost anywhere. Keep it somewhere else, turned off, unless you're using it. Your real phone, regardless of what apps you install or ow you route it still pings off of your cell provider and is just another thing to explain. Like why you got a text with a new alert tone at dinner or a "what's this app?" conversation. Keep your hobby life and your real life completely separate, let nothing cross the boundary one to the other.
I use my neighbor's phone, it does not cost me a cent.
How do you use google voice i tried and it use my number instead of a different one.
Whorizon Wireless
You have to go to google website and get a google voice phone number. What app are you using? I'm currently using mo+ app and all you have to is put in your google voice number and log in using google user name and password.

These apps allow you to switch to busy or offline or even logoff you you want to go into silent mode.

How do you use google voice i tried and it use my number instead of a different one. Originally Posted by Buffie_theBody
  • modus
  • 04-23-2014, 07:00 PM
How do you use google voice i tried and it use my number instead of a different one. Originally Posted by Buffie_theBody
This is what I sent to a couple providers to help them setup google voice. You use the google app to place my calls and text.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6MAZXnjEyk

http://www.google.com/voice

There are a lot of settings. Here are some nice features.

1. On the phone there is a do not disturb option which will send all calls to voice mail. Combine do not disturb and logoff and you won't receive and texts/calls to your google voice. They'll all go to email.
2. You can have text messages sent to email.
3. You'll find most of the settings on the web page. The ability to turn on and off greetings.
4. You can set a schedule for when your phone can ring.
  • JROD
  • 04-24-2014, 05:38 AM
I use the AT&T Go Phone. The phone is cheap, and pretty small, so it is easy to conceal. I buy the time in $25 increments and it is good for 90 days. Smaller amounts expire after 30 days. Sometimes I don't get to hobby enough to use all of the time in 30 days.

I get the refills at Radio Shack.
Talkatone is the best google voice app. GV is great because it links to your fake gmail acct. so even if you have to delete the app, you've got your numbers backed up on the server. Also with GV you can make calls via your laptop/computer.

I thought about using Skype as an option too. You get a number for $18 a quarter and if you add minutes they last until they run out. I've noticed that with Skype the only time my minutes/credits are counted is when I make international calls. But I call all over the country and no charge.

Just a couple of options. But with Skype you do have to pay with CC or Paypal, so that may not be the best option (Fuckin Patriot Act).
Talkatone with GV was great. Since it uses VoIP, no calls show up on your phone line.

Unfortunately GV is ending support for third party apps on May 15.

GV is good- but you have to take the time to get the settings right, otherwise you could be leaving way more bread crumbs than you intended.