ISO nice place to hang out in Austin

I love to meet new people, my adventures downtown have been lots of fun, but sometimes there is a bit too much action going for me sometimes I just want a nice place to hang out for happy hour or lunch or maybe even a snug little late night dive with a mature crowd. Any suggestions??
Lots of great late nite dives with a more mature crowd. If you like jazz the Elephant Room at Congress and 5th (?) is great. For more upscale lunch or happy hours Trulucks, Eddie V's, or the Roaring Fork are great choices. All 3 of the above have locations both downtown and up northwest near the Arboretum. Hope this helps.
The Gingerman on Lavaca. Also the the Lavaca Grill
If youre north, Opal Divines on Mopac would be worth checking out. Its a beergarden atmosphere. ($2.50 pints on TX beers on Wed I recently found out )

Theres another bar near there called Wierdos which looks interesting.
Im so happy you guys recommended a lot of places I have never even heard of...
I haven't been to any of these places yet, but i definitely plan to visit alll of em!
Lots of great late nite dives with a more mature crowd. If you like jazz the Elephant Room at Congress and 5th (?) is great. For more upscale lunch or happy hours Trulucks, Eddie V's, or the Roaring Fork are great choices. All 3 of the above have locations both downtown and up northwest near the Arboretum. Hope this helps. Originally Posted by Powderhound

This has to be the fourth time someone suggested Eddie V's to me, I think it's hightime I visit!
Most of the suggestions have been close to 6th street. I've gotten pretty tired of that scene, and I too, find that scene "too busy".

So here's a couple of ideas for you if you are looking for a bit less hype:

- Cool River off Palmer; the crowd there can be a bit pretentions though
- for a more shorts and sandals crowd, try Sam's Boat
away from 6th street is exactly what I'm looking for rabbit! Cool River sounds like a place I'd like to go...and maybe Sam's on a SUnday!
I always have a great time at the warehouse saloon and billiards. I enjoy enjoy going there on UFC fight nights like tonight. They also do karaoke there as well right after the main event ends around midnight.

I had a good time recently at graham's central station in pville. nuevo leon (east 6th) is excellent for happy hours especially weekend nights.

drafthouse by west 38th and lamar is really cool too. I enjoy import beers and they cater to that very well. never had an issue with people fighting, etc.

drop by starseed's for cool late night food and atmosphere and then when you are done, u can drop by dreamer's to pick up something to enhance the good ole nightcap
pop into Weirdos at the corner of Parmer and Loop 1. Just a great hang out place for singles, couples, etc. Suit and tie or shorts and flip flops, you will see it all. All age groups, I have met several ladies there and had a lot of fun, it is a pretty good mix proportionate of guys to girls. Good drinks also.
for music, since Austin is the live music capital

the Continental Club on South Congress, low cover (no cover on Weds & Fri early shows), good bands, go go dancers!

Gueros Taco Bar has a great outdoor music place also under a big oak tree; also South Congress
I always have a great time at the warehouse saloon and billiards. I enjoy enjoy going there on UFC fight nights like tonight. They also do karaoke there as well right after the main event ends around midnight. Originally Posted by sixxbach
I may be a girly girl, but I do UFC! The warehouse sounds like a place for me, Thx Sixx
pop into Weirdos at the corner of Parmer and Loop 1. Just a great hang out place for singles, couples, etc. Suit and tie or shorts and flip flops, you will see it all. All age groups, I have met several ladies there and had a lot of fun, it is a pretty good mix proportionate of guys to girls. Good drinks also. Originally Posted by runswithscissors
I've thought about going here several times, I haven't put that thought into action yet, but thanks to you Weirdo's may be getting some of my patronage!
Here are a few good ones, all up North of course; Iron Cactus at Cap of Tx hwy and 183, NXNW is next door, a microbrewery with INCREDIBLE food, The Hideout is off Mopac, nice crowd and bikers (the nice variety)on the weekend, you would really like Little Woodrow's at McNeil and Parmer (Parmer has a BUNCH of dives on it, all pretty cute), then closer to 183 is the Water Tank, very cool crowd, super mixed age wise, and socio-economic, yet everyone is cool with everyone- drinks are cheap and Wed is STEAK nite, the hugest steak in town with tons of stuff for $12-reminds me of URCOOKS days, another fav is the Canary Hut Pub off of Burnet toward Mopac. Cool River has a skank bar crowd with many career drinkers and wannabe playboys (imho) but the atmosphere and food are WONDERFUL, drinks are HIGH too, Sam's Boat has good oysters, otherwise the service is S**T.

AND IF YOU FEEL LIKE SLUMMING.......but be careful.......
Bums on Pond Springs RD? is pretty cool if it's not packed with...... and next door is Shennanigan's.......I wouldn't go to that (edited... no mention of drugs.... staff) infested rathole if you payed me to, but I hear the beer is cheap and they have lots of pool. Bum's is by far a better choice for pool and chit-chat. Just so you don't end up at the wrong door!!!! LOL

If you can't find a cool place, PM me and I'll introduce you to a crowd, some bartenders and you'll be right at home!
If you like Roaring Fork by all means go to the one at the end of Stonelake in the Arboreteum area simply because it has a great setting with deck overlooking the quarry lake and the building is beautiful. Talk about Feng Shui. I don't know anything about the crowd there but I go just to enjoy the ambience.

For funky, Austin laid back and a good beer selection, try BB Rovers out on Jollyville Rd a ways, a couple of miles west of the Arboreteum. Beer drinking, cigar smoking and a very relaxed typically friendly mix of Austin folks. Staff is friendly and they remember you when you come back. OTW, real funk, Lala's Little Nuggett on Justin just off Burnet. Been there something like 40 plus years, somewhat downtrodden but can be a good private hangout.