Solo Guitarists: Eric Clapton vs. Peter Frampton

These two guys may have been before my time so to speak but they were pretty awesome. There's been a ton of greats over the decades and I could literally go on and on but I'll name just a few. In this comparison I think I ultimately have to go with Clapton over Frampton

Other solo guitar battles that would have been cool to see live are:

The Eagles vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd and Guns & Roses vs. Led Zepplin and of course other all-time greats Jimi Hendrix vs.Chuck Berry.
Rolling Stones (top 10) List (all-time greatest guitarists):

10. Peter Townsend
9. Duane Allman
8. Eddie Van Halen
7. Chuck Berry
6. BB King
5. Jeff Beck
4. Keith Richards
3. Jimmy Page
2. Eric Clapton
1. Jimi Hendrix

I can't argue with any of the names on that list. Frampton would have a tough time breaking into that Top 10 no matter who is compiling it. Don't get me wrong....saw him live right after he released the ground-breaking Frampton Comes Alive double album and I thought he was terrific....and we hear many of those same songs on classic rock stations today and they're still pretty catchy, right?

Two of my all-time faves (not on that list) are Texas born-n-bred: blues guitarists Stevie Ray Vaughn and Freddie King. Saw them both several times in concert and both (in my opinion) extremely under rated. But hey...music....it's all about what we like or don't like and it simply boils down to your own "personal taste".

Just like the hobby....there's something or someone....for everybody. WALDT, right?
I've never listened to Peter Frampton but I love Erick Clapton.
He is in my opinion one of the best guitar players ever.
I also love Stevie Ray Vaughan.
I have a ton I mean a ton of Respect for Mr. Hendrix but was he really better than Clapton?

I'm also surprised no one ever mentions Santana and that bad ass drummer wife of his.
Bullshit like this has nothing to do with virtuosity...it's more about who, among the ranks of competent or semi-competent guitarists, is the most famous at this particular moment.

Not a lot of difference from ranking hoes in order according to their alleged cocksucking skills.
Bullshit like this has nothing to do with virtuosity...it's more about who, among the ranks of competent or semi-competent guitarists, is the most famous at this particular moment.

Not a lot of difference from ranking hoes in order according to their cocksucking skills. Originally Posted by Don T. Lukbak
So who would you vote as the most competent at the moment. That "Hey There Delilah" fellow?
My opinion should be as irrelevant to you as yours is to me. And I'm sure it is. At least as far as who is "best".

An altogether different discussion would be which guitarists do I enjoy listening at. Clapton and Frampton bore me. Stevie Ray, Freddie King, Jimi, Rocky Hill, Link Wray, Steve Vai..play a way I like. Gary Lucas, Larry Coryell, John McLaughlin...out there! Hell, even Atta Isaacs and King Sunny Ade please me. Some of them are famous, others are footnotes. I do not give a shit.

Damn..I forgot Ry Cooder.
Michael Schenker, Jimmy Page, and Uli Jon Roth blow both of them out of the water.
Better? Who knows since it's really a debate; not a "competition" when you get down to it. In their heyday I thought both were nothing short of amazing....all in all, it's an "eye of the beholder" topic, right? Ali or Joe Louis? Michael or LeBron? Jack or Tiger? No matter the subject matter, you'll always have an argument for one or the other........

Jimi was pure....an innovator...some called him a genius (whatever your definition of that word is). Pull up some of his Live Videos if you're able to find them online and maybe that'll help; not sure. Bottom line, if you scroll through just about any of the lists (all time greats) no matter who's putting it together, he's still recognized as the best.

I have a ton I mean a ton of Respect for Mr. Hendrix but was he really better than Clapton?

I'm also surprised no one ever mentions Santana and that bad ass drummer wife of his. Originally Posted by Zanzibar789
My opinion should be as irrelevant to you as yours is to me. And I'm sure it is. At least as far as who is "best".

An altogether different discussion would be which guitarists do I enjoy listening at. Clapton and Frampton bore me. Stevie Ray, Freddie King, Jimi, Rocky Hill, Link Wray, Steve Vai..play a way I like. Gary Lucas, Larry Coryell, John McLaughlin...out there! Hell, even Atta Isaacs and King Sunny Ade please me. Some of them are famous, others are footnotes. I do not give a shit.

Damn..I forgot Ry Cooder. Originally Posted by Don T. Lukbak
I find all opinions interesting even those I may disagree with. If i disagree with someone on one issue doesn't mean I disagree with them on all issues. Just part of my life's experience.

On topic though your enjoyment list is not bad.
Better? Who knows since it's really a debate; not a "competition" when you get down to it. In their heyday I thought both were nothing short of amazing....all in all, it's an "eye of the beholder" topic, right? Ali or Joe Louis? Michael or LeBron? Jack or Tiger? No matter the subject matter, you'll always have an argument for one or the other........

Jimi was pure....an innovator...some called him a genius (whatever your definition of that word is). Pull up some of his Live Videos if you're able to find them online and maybe that'll help; not sure. Bottom line, if you scroll through just about any of the lists (all time greats) no matter who's putting it together, he's still recognized as the best. Originally Posted by Chateau Becot
I don't disagree I just like getting different perspectives and opinions. I have Jimi's discography so I know how bad he was even though he died way before I was born.

10. Peter Townsend
9. Duane Allman
8. Eddie Van Halen
7. Chuck Berry
6. BB King
5. Jeff Beck
4. Keith Richards
3. Jimmy Page
2. Eric Clapton
1. Jimi Hendrix

I can't argue with any of the names on that list. Originally Posted by Chateau Becot
I've seen everyone on the list, except for Allman (I did see his Nephew, Elijah Blue Allman..ha!) and Hendrix.. I would argue that Chuck Berry shouldn't be there.. he is a derivative player, distinctive, but limited.. as such, Keith Richards is a debatable entry, since he copped much of Berry's licks and style.. but Richards' strength is rythym guitar.. I think Stevie Ray should make the list.. Hell, even Jimmie Vaughn beats Berry, IMO.. Joe Walsh is light years better than Berry..

10. Peter Townsend
9. Duane Allman
8. Eddie Van Halen
7. Chuck Berry
6. BB King
5. Jeff Beck
4. Keith Richards
3. Jimmy Page
2. Eric Clapton
1. Jimi Hendrix

I can't argue with any of the names on that list. Frampton would have a tough time breaking into that Top 10 no matter who is compiling it. Don't get me wrong....saw him live right after he released the ground-breaking Frampton Comes Alive double album and I thought he was terrific....and we hear many of those same songs on classic rock stations today and they're still pretty catchy, right?

Two of my all-time faves (not on that list) are Texas born-n-bred: blues guitarists Stevie Ray Vaughn and Freddie King. Saw them both several times in concert and both (in my opinion) extremely under rated. But hey...music....it's all about what we like or don't like and it simply boils down to your own "personal taste".

Just like the hobby....there's something or someone....for everybody. WALDT, right? Originally Posted by Chateau Becot

List are made to be debated.
Any guitarists list that does not include Joe Walsh somewhere in the top ten doesn't get much credit from me.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is amazing,
I've seen the Eagles 4 times. Three of those times Joe Walsh came on stage and jammed with the opening act.

Saw Joe at Verizon a couple years ago, KWS was his opening act. He put on a hell of a show. Joe didn't bother coming out to jam with him. May be because their styles are so different. Some guitarists have to work at playing Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page all make playing a guitar look so fucking easy.
Chung you're pretty hard on Chuck. You make it sound like he was a scrub. Chuck was John Lennon's inspiration.
If someone should mention a guitarist's, or any other musician's, distinctive licks...that could be interesting.

For example, all you need is a short run of Lightnin's finger-picks to know that's grouchyass ol' Sam Hopkins. Or just a moment to recognize Albert Collins. Stevie Ray too, and Rocky Hill. Chuck Berry and the immortal Bo Diddley too. And ol' Hubert Sumlin, behind Howlin' Wolf, easily recognizable. All them cats had highly personal styles.