How do you feel about hobbyist referals?

some work friends of mine some work friends of mine saw me looking at the showcases. Not at work. they were very interested and asked to be introduced. Keep in mind these are work friends, people I have gone to have a drink with on occasion and barbecue with. While I have known them for years I don't know them intimately. So tell me what you think.
my opinion is that you should absolutely not give referrals unless they do the up front work to log on, find a provider and then ask you if you can give a referral. Don't select for them.

Depending on how much you have shared, I would dismiss the conversation and let it die. No good can come from co-mingling work with personal in this manner. #Danger
I agree with shooter. I can see so many bad scenarios on this. Nothing good will come out of it. Just a plain awful and terrible idea.
Agree. Wouldn't touch that one. There's disaster lurking in that whole scenario.
I’ve had clients recommend me to their friends on several occasions and it’s always went very well for everyone involved. They were a little bit more than casual work acquaintances, though. Longtime friends.

I also do a bit of additional screening of my own, after the referral.
I personally don't allow anyone...at all...to know about my activities. Truly the only sure fire way to avoid grief. Never never never tell anyone you know personally what you do
I’ve had clients recommend me to their friends on several occasions and it’s always went very well for everyone involved. They were a little bit more than casual work acquaintances, though. Longtime friends.

I also do a bit of additional screening of my own, after the referral. Originally Posted by Ginger Doll
I'm going to clarify. I refer all the time to people in this "community". However, people who I work with? Socialize with? People that I'm not sure if they hobby or not? Hmmm. That's really iffy.

We all lead double lives, at least I do. Don't want those boundaries to get crossed.