Mississippi bans banning big soda

The state with the highest obesity levels in the United States (and I bet that means the highest levels in the world) has banned the banning of soda and other foods that turn you into a porker.

I'm not sure which is more stupid. Banning sodas, or banning the banning of sodas. What a waste of time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1294848
Oh yeah? Well I will see your ban and raise you a ban on the ban to ban sodas! Hah!
This one got covered a couple of weeks back.

The guy behind the ban owns barbeque restaurants.

They also wanted to prohibit individual cites from requiring menus to list calorie counts.
I'm covering it again because the governor in Mississippi was actually stupid enough to sign it yesterday.

Another grand gesture on the part of the Republicans who seem doomed to do absolutely nothing but pass silly, meaningless legislation like this. Or to propose federal budgets that are so ridiculous, the democrats are the ones forcing a vote on it.

Utterly absurd.
  • CJ7
  • 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm covering it again because the governor in Mississippi was actually stupid enough to sign it yesterday.

Another grand gesture on the part of the Republicans who seem doomed to do absolutely nothing but pass silly, meaningless legislation like this. Or to propose federal budgets that are so ridiculous, the democrats are the ones forcing a vote on it.

Utterly absurd. Originally Posted by timpage

In a 179-234 vote, House lawmakers turned down an amendment sponsored by Reps. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) and Jim Moran (D-Va.) to a fiscal 2012 Legislative spending bill that would have banned polystyrene containers in the House’s food services facilities.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-...#ixzz2OCxpWyyh

Utterly absurd. Originally Posted by timpage
In reality, the act doesn't prevent Mississippi from banning big drinks and doesn't prevent restaurants from listing calories on their own.

It just prevents local cities and towns from imposing their own requirements.

There is something to be said for using one consistent set of guidelines for the whole state. Variations from town to town would be kind of ridiculous.

Although I doubt the restaurant owner who sponsored the bill has uniformity in mind.