Definition of Democracy

Sorry, Deb, but another definition of democracy is two wolves and a chicken voting on what to have for lunch. We need a foundation of law protecting the rights of the individual.
Sorry, Deb, but another definition of democracy is two wolves and a chicken voting on what to have for lunch. We need a foundation of law protecting the rights of the individual. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
You obviously have a right to your opinion and I like that. Anyone who exposes his personal honest opinion may be attacked; however, I believe in sticking to my guns!!! I do believe in being flexible, but for the good of the majority. So, guess I am a democrat!
Democracy is an illusion. As is our agency as human beings.
Democracy is an illusion. As is our agency as human beings. Originally Posted by WombRaider
That is very negative. Democracy is real there are concerted efforts to make sure that democracy survives.
From Merriam Webster Dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/democracy Originally Posted by SeekingTruth
What's your point?
That is very negative. Democracy is real there are concerted efforts to make sure that democracy survives. Originally Posted by SeekingTruth
Regardless, our agency is not.
We don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic. Rather than everyone vote on everything, every time, we elect leaders to make decisions for us.

In a true democracy, the majority would run over the minority in short order. That's why we have law, such as The First Amendment, to protect those that believe things that the majority (or the government) might not like.
You obviously have a right to your opinion and I like that. Anyone who exposes his personal honest opinion may be attacked; however, I believe in sticking to my guns!!! I do believe in being flexible, but for the good of the majority. So, guess I am a democrat! Originally Posted by SeekingTruth
You know I love you, and I'm proud of your courage. We can disagree, but I respect you, and I hope our paths cross someday.
That is very negative. Democracy is real there are concerted efforts to make sure that democracy survives. Originally Posted by SeekingTruth
Lol, real where? You don't get to vote on laws other than in your state. For America, representatives decide what is good for you.
Lol, real where? You don't get to vote on laws other than in your state. For America, representatives decide what is good for you. Originally Posted by nwarounder

And we have the prerogative of voting them out of office. That's the way in works in a Republic.

Of course, things get skewed with the rise of the Demagogue and his or Her overwhelming appeal to those who simply vote for whom ever will give them something for nothing.
And we have the prerogative of voting them out of office. That's the way in works in a Republic.

Of course, things get skewed with the rise of the Demagogue and his or Her overwhelming appeal to those who simply vote for whom ever will give them something for nothing. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Yes, we can vote them out of office, and we feel better. But much more often than not, the people we replace them with are owned by the same people who owned the one voted out. There is no real change. The system must be destroyed. Democrats and Republicans are on the same team, with very few exceptions.
Yes, we can vote them out of office, and we feel better. But much more often than not, the people we replace them with are owned by the same people who owned the one voted out. There is no real change. The system must be destroyed. Democrats and Republicans are on the same team, with very few exceptions. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
The problem is that the people who actually should be in politics are working other jobs. The people who we get stuck with are the fucking leftovers.
The problem is that the people who actually should be in politics are working other jobs. The people who we get stuck with are the fucking leftovers. Originally Posted by WombRaider
I agree with you. I know it shocked me too. IMO all elected positions in the country should have term limits. We have it for the POTUS. Why the fuck is being in congress a life long career? It should be a maximum of 8 years of service, period. Also, the golden parachute that comes with serving in congress needs to go away.
The problem is that the people who actually should be in politics are working other jobs. The people who we get stuck with are the fucking leftovers. Originally Posted by WombRaider
Right now we have two outstanding examples of self made individules, (a Black Man and a Woman), who are running for POTUS in the Republican Primaries, but will be characterized by the Democrat lap dogs in the media as out of touch bafoons who do not understand the real voting public.

In the mean time, that same media will tout the success of a lying piece of crap whose only real claim to fame is she ran interference for a serial sexual predator.