Digital motion pictures

• hd
  • 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I went to see Django (the D is silent) the other day and for some reason (probably to do with my age) I thought how I never notice the films skipping anymore, as though the film was cut and spliced to remove a bad section.

For you younger people, even seeing a new release for the first time a brand new film would have at least a few cuts and splices and you would notice the skip in the video and audio of the film. And for the older ones here, remember when there was a short break while they changed reels because the movie was longer than one reel would hold?

Guess everything is on digital media now.

A little nostalgia for all of you.

BTW, Django's a good one.
Want to see that film... I'm a Q. Tarantino fan. Yeah, I remember the days of film...jumpy, shakey sections, warbley sound. Remember the sound being ahead ( or behind) of the film, too. And this:
"Sorry folks, the film got tangled. Line up for your refund."
Yeah digital is the thing but they still usually film it all at 24 frames per second so it looks like film.

I saw The Hobbit over the holiday and it's filmed at 48fps, which makes for a higher resolution image but looks "weird" to the eye at first since it's not what you expect a movie to look like. When the camera moves you don't get that old fashioned blur, it looks more like what you see in an NFL game.

Not sure if I like the higher framerate or not, it was pretty distracting to me. Probably as more movies go that way it will be the new normal.
Some day in the future, you'll be sitting in a theater and the hot chick on the 3D screen will reach out and jerk you off...right there in your theater seat... yeah...
and not charge you since you paid to see the film...
Django was indeed awesome! I'm going to go see that again. What wasn't awesome was Les Miserables, and I actually am a fan of musicals. That one should have stayed on stage and not brought to the big screen.
  • hd
  • 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Django was good, the opening reminded me of spaghetti westerns, then once it started I thought it was a Mel Brookes film. Those that have seen it know what I'm talking about.
The town I grew up in, just had a fundraiser for the old local movie theater. It seems that you cannot get the newer movies on film any longer....

The old movie theater is now sporting a new $60,000.00 digital projector.
And a $30 DVD player.
And a $30 DVD player. Originally Posted by pyramider

Probably correct there......

I have fond Memories of that theater..... I got my fist stinky finger there, one summer between Jr. High, and High School, up in the balcony ...