having a weird tech issue....halp!!

I have no connectivity. My router says i am connected. My computer says i am connected. When i run diagnostic it finds no issues. I can go into my cmd and ping yahoo just fine. But i cannot connect to any website.

I have restarted the router. I have done an ip release and renew....but nothing is working.
Not an expert but if it's a laptop try taking it somewhere like a Starbucks to see if you can connect with their WiFi. If you can it's something in your house: bad modem maybe.
Its working again.. at my incall I'm tethered to one of those mobile things from AT&T. This happens from time to time where it says it has signal, it says its connected, I can ping just fine, but if I go into Firefox or Chrome nothing will pull up. Clearly not a DNS issue since I can ping yahoo all day long.

Normally, its a nuisance that lasts 10-15 minutes... today I was down for 2 hours.
Edit: OK, since it's started working while I typed, never mind.
And just like a hooker on a corner....it has gone down again....sigh
Since you can ping but not browse. I feel your browser settings have been compromised. Check for proxy settings. Can you try IE?
Make sure all ip/did setting are set to auto. Try your cell phone to use WiFi network to browse websites.
Since you can ping but not browse. I feel your browser settings have been compromised. Check for proxy settings. Can you try IE? Originally Posted by dodorunning
If it were permanently down, I'd be inclined to agree. But this is a weird intermittent outage. I can be cruising along on the net just fine and then it will stop working for 10-20 minutes, then it is just peachy again. Today's only became bothersome because of how long it lasted.

When I'm on my home network, or on the Wi-Fi say, at Starbucks.. I have nary an issue. It is just with the silly little tether thing from ATT.
Do you got you router from att?
Try another router might help to track the issue
Routing?

you can set your DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's) and then open CMD and run

ipconfig /flushdns

to acquire the new DNS settings...

Little more advanced you can check your hosts file in the etc folder to see if it's been compromised and routes all your pages to junk.
My hosts file is uncompromised. I did the flush earlier.. but I did not think to change over to Google's DNS setting. If I have a problem again tomorrow (I'm home now and my home net is fine) I'll try that and see if it helps.

According to my roommate, she has had similar problems as well from time to time. So, chances are, it is an issue with the little AT&T mobile router....
The other possibility I thought of is that it may be a problem with the AT&T mobile router working at your incall location. Perhaps there's a weak signal or an interference source nearby. Can you take it home with you and see if it works OK there? That may help isolate if it's the router itself or something about the signal at your incall location. If it also fails at another location like your home, then it's probably time for a chat with AT&T tech support and maybe replace the mobile router.
Routing?

you can set your DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's) and then open CMD and run

ipconfig /flushdns to acquire the new DNS settings...
Originally Posted by XiaoPangzi
+1

Sometimes ATT and Verizon have DNS issues. You can resolve and ping major names but some of the others didn't work.

Changed my DNS settings and BAM no problems.
The issue was transitory in nature.
Work fine for 6 months then some maintenance or something they did to their DNS server and hiccups...
  • BLM69
  • 03-11-2015, 04:28 PM
I think next time Google might be quicker to get your answer instead a hooker board. smh