For those ladies (or gentlemen) who take taxis

If you haven't done so, you should check out the Uber app. It's cheaper than a taxi, cleaner, easier, and safe. All the drivers undergo a state and federal background check. As well as a driver history check. It's all handled by the app and no money exchanges hands. You don't need to know the address as the app uses your GPS and you can track your driver's progress. Anyway, it's definitely something to check out if you need a ride somewhere.

Your first ride is $20 off if you use promo code KIS27
Wish I would have known about that earlier, as I stood outside of Walmart for over 35 minutes waiting on a taxi.

Thanks for the info.
  • ~Ze~
  • 07-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Uber is amazing.. but I am tempted to stop telling people about it. The "rush hour" fee jacking is something to be worried about imo.
One of my real life friends was just raving about how awesome they are! He used them for his Birthday night.
They do have "surge pricing" when there's a high demand for rides, but even then I think it's still cheaper than a cab. The app does it automatically, and is purely based on number of requests vs drivers. S. Pink, sorry I didn't get on earlier, but at least going forward you've got another option
I would caution against use of that code, Uber is a great app however what the Op forgets to tell you is that he also gets a referral bonus but what he might not know is that when you sign up Uber requires your real name with your credit card and so unless you dont want someone to see your RL personal infor (only your real name not address or CC #) showing that you signed up, I would suggest that maybe you sign up directly via the Uber app, you still get the same promotion or google Uber promotion and you get codes from uber directly - the highest I have seen is $30 for first time users directly offered by Uber.Either way Uber is great
Yup, I get $5 each time someone uses the code for their first ride. As far as RL info, you don't have to tell your driver what you're up to, or even use the app for hobby purposes. I'm sure some if not all of the ladies here go out from time to time as a real person. And you can use Google wallet as your payment, so if you use a hobby Gmail address, the only information that Uber will have is what you give them.
Wish I would have known about that earlier, as I stood outside of Walmart for over 35 minutes waiting on a taxi.

Thanks for the info. Originally Posted by syeira pink
I would've picked you up for free. Look!
Best thing about Uber is no up charge for added passengers and all great rides Cadillacs to SUVs
Agree that uber will continue to eat into the taxi monopoly trade and even with the bitching and moaning of the taxi owners and the drivers, this will dramatically change the "I need a ride" solutions we have today. All that said and as an uber user, during their start up cycles, even with vetting of drivers, etc, there are a # of instances where a driver stalked/assaulted/ or attempted to rip off their passenger (mostly females)....so do a little research before you dive in
Wish I would have known about that earlier, as I stood outside of Walmart for over 35 minutes waiting on a taxi.. Originally Posted by syeira pink
I would've picked you up for free. Look! Originally Posted by Richardtx
I was thinking the same thing.
... what the Op forgets to tell you is that he also gets a referral bonus ... Originally Posted by macbeth1000
Yup, I get $5 each time someone uses the code for their first ride. ... Originally Posted by FtWhobbyist
ftwhobbyist, kudos for being more transparent about the bonus.

if one uses a credit card, eyes and/or LE can find it.
i imagine that's true even if one uses gwallet or paypal, etc.
in terms of discretion, the less of a paper or cyber trail, the better.

... All that said and as an uber user, during their start up cycles, even with vetting of drivers, etc, there are a # of instances where a driver stalked/assaulted/ or attempted to rip off their passenger (mostly females)....so do a little research before you dive in Originally Posted by Roothead
^^^^^^^^^ what he said.
just cos Uber says they do background checks does NOT insure a safe ride.

research, research, research!!!
There are taxi's in Dallas?
Anytime you are alone with someone you don't know there is a possibility of something bad happening. Whether you're in a Yellow Cab or an Uber the risk is the same. Just Google "taxi driver assault" and see how many results there are for a driver assaulting a rider. And I get the credit card thing except for one thing. Who is going to know what your doing when you get to your destination? And do you really never use a credit card for any purchases?? If you get a decent hotel room, that normally requires a card too right? How would it be any different than that? I'm not absolutely certain, but I would assume that since you can use Google Wallet, you could use a pre-paid card or maybe even one of those Amex Gift Cards. But just spitballing in that because I haven't tried it yet. I might do that this week and let you know.
i own my car so no taxis for me! wouldnt that be expensive taking taxis all the time?