First time with a strap on

Well, I've finally decided to take the plunge, or should I say have her take the plunge. lol As I've been preparing I've come up with a couple of questions I'd like some help with. First, I've been inserting a butt plug, using plenty of lube, that is 1 1/2 inches across at its widest and 5 inches long. It took about 4 tries to insert it fully and ever since I have some temporary discomfort (not pain if I go slow) just before it's all the way in. Is this something that's normal due to the need for relaxing each time? Also, from time to time there is some residue on the plug or on me. Will this be corrected if I use one of those disposable enema kits?

Thanks for your help and be safe out there!
I always found the disposable enemas rather harsh. To prepare for anal play I would buy one and empty it in the sink. Then run a sink full of water and refill it multiple times without bubbles and insert the nozzle and empty in in my rectum 8 or 9 times then eliminate it, and do it a second time. I would rather use plain water than the solution that comes in the commercial ones. Lubricate the tip of the tube to make insertion smooth. Just my two cents.
Yes, some discomfort at the moment where the widest part of the toy is just about to pass through your sphincter IS normal, but at that point you need to pause and focus on relaxing your sphincter before you push it in any further. I know it's tempting to just shove it in, but breathe and give your muscles some time to adjust, and they will willingly open up and swallow the rest of the plug once they stop panicking about the fact that you're shoving something in there. Let your ass control the pace and practice patience and everything will go smoother in the long run...

Disposable enema kits are good, but be sure to replace the fluid inside the kit with clean, body-temperature water since those kits are meant to treat constipation and will irritate your rectum.
Great detailed enema advice! The only thing I would add is that 8-9 times seems a bit excessive to me, and at the very least, if you want to do it that many times, add a tiny pinch of salt to mimic your body fluids' own salinity, otherwise you can dry your insides out which can cause some additional discomfort during play.
Bear,
You are on thr right track. Everything will get easier and more enjoyable the more you practice. For me, enemas work well but I follow Zoey's advice and add a little piinch of salt. I find that if I don't, my electrolytes will get screwed up and I will just feel bad. Then I'm not in the mood. Also take care not to put too much in at one time. You are wanting to just clean the tail end of the colon. If the fluids go in too far, this will actually stimulate activity. You will end up having more problems latter on when you think you are in the clear. Learned this the hard way.
As for pain, take it slow. I have been playing with toys for awhile but still start small and slowly work up to bigger toys. I do this EVERY time I play. I have several silicon toys that I use that are designed for stretching in a slow manner.
Take your time and have fun. The more you play, the better it gets.
Hope this helps.
Thanks to all for your advice! Confirmation that I was started out on the right track as well as where to go from here is very much appreciated!