A Cautionary Tale: Recent Tragedy in Las Colinas

There is new information about a crash that killed a Colleyville woman, her boyfriend, and an attorney in Irving last month — including the final known images of the three victims. Article and police report mention The Lodge and The Men's Club.

New Story
Police Report
Video

People, please be careful.
This is a really sad story on so many levels... the lost of life, the media coverage and families forever torn apart

I am sure there are several under current themes taking place - the legal aspect of this, given the nature of the accident and the underlying circumstances, the socio-ecomonic status of the driver, the divorce he was facing, etc.... this will be a fiasco and a legal morass....
Attorneys are licking their lips.
The way the wife explained the situation, it seems like he was going through a mid-life crisis big-time...The guy was big in the personal injury area and had to have had some big paydays... he and his widow are still listing a $4MM beach front home in CA (LA area)... He had to have had a lot of personal liability coverage ($millions), if only to cover his ass and assets - the divorce filing complicates things as does, the possibility of impaired driving and the possibility that some aspect of this will void his coverages, all of this on top of the reckless endangerment.... add to this the airing of personal dirty laundry and it has all the makings of a CBS 48 hrs reality documentary.... I feel for the wife and kids of the driver, and of course for the parents of the young couple ... it is indeed a stark example for all to learn from
In the late-80s, Ronnie (the attorney) was one of the best high school tennis players in the country. He used to whip my ass on a regular basis.

It is a very sad story indeed. It sounds like it was a fun evening of debauchery gone awry. The kind of evening many of us enjoy on a regular basis.

It is something to think about before drinking too much and driving, which again is something many of us probably do too much.
  • MRMR
  • 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Sad story on so many levels.

Made for TV movie? Sounds like it.

Easily could have been me after a night out of drinking, only problem is the old car only does about 70mph.
Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars
Oak tree you're in my way

--Ronnie Van Zant
The way the wife explained the situation, it seems like he was going through a mid-life crisis big-time...The guy was big in the personal injury area and had to have had some big paydays... he and his widow are still listing a $4MM beach front home in CA (LA area)... He had to have had a lot of personal liability coverage ($millions), if only to cover his ass and assets - the divorce filing complicates things as does, the possibility of impaired driving and the possibility that some aspect of this will void his coverages, all of this on top of the reckless endangerment.... add to this the airing of personal dirty laundry and it has all the makings of a CBS 48 hrs reality documentary.... I feel for the wife and kids of the driver, and of course for the parents of the young couple ... it is indeed a stark example for all to learn from Originally Posted by Roothead
Driving drunk doesn't void insurance coverage.
Driving drunk doesn't void insurance coverage. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Do we even know if he was legally drunk? Have the toxicology tests been published? He looks pretty sober to me in the video.

But the girl looks very tipsy, dancing around and acting silly.

Speed was the main factor. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive race cars on city streets. After midnight, broad daylight, any time.
Do we even know if he was legally drunk? Have the toxicology tests been published? He looks pretty sober to me in the video.

But the girl looks very tipsy, dancing around and acting silly.

Speed was the main factor. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive race cars on city streets. After midnight, broad daylight, any time. Originally Posted by trynagetlaid
FWOG, do you know many people who are out at the time in the morning with complete strangers who are not drunk? And the fact that the guy's car was launched that fucking far after hitting a guard rail pretty much tells me that this dude was hammered and was driving at the top end speed of his Porsche.

He was either suicidal, tried to avoid an animal on the road while driving about 180 MPH while sober, or the dude was drunk as hell...Regardless, I guess the facts will come out soon enough but damn, what a sad story about a sad event that should not have ever occurred...Those kids had a long life ahead of them and so did he. It's just sad all of the way around, especially when you think about not only the deceased, but their families and the uncalled for aftermath/embarrassment all family members will have to endure after such an accident...Just imagine what the driver/attorney's poor kids will have to go through from jerk classmates while finishing middle school and high school.
Speed and alchohol were definately a factor. You dont "launch" a car as in this accident without going very fast. Since they were out late I am sure alchohol was involved. So a new high powered car, dangerous speed, and alchohol is involved then these folks were heading for a tragedy. I feel for all the families, dying in an auto accident is never good. I read that the attorney driving was not even killed by the impact, he drowned after the car went into the canal.
Speed and alchohol were definately a factor

I'll wait until they publish the toxicology results. But I think there's a 90/10 chance he was way over .08!!!
all the signs of a mid-lfe crisis

whoring around (yeah so do we I know)
possible substance abuse
pending divorce
quit his job/ started up a new practice
high powered "look at me" car (ok, I have a Range Rover, a Porsche 911, a BMW 745i and a Volvo Xc90, so my SO and I are that also, but I do not drive them anywhere near their thresholds)

I just know so many of these guys (and ladies too), from College, Frat, Grad school and neighbors, that are just friggen crazy these days
FWOG, do you know many people who are out at the time in the morning with complete strangers who are not drunk? And the fact that the guy's car was launched that fucking far after hitting a guard rail pretty much tells me that this dude was hammered and was driving at the top end speed of his Porsche.

He was either suicidal, tried to avoid an animal on the road while driving about 180 MPH while sober, or the dude was drunk as hell.... Originally Posted by Lucas McCain
Haven't done the physics but I would have to say he was probably doing just over 100, maybe 120 when he hit the guardrail. He dissipated some speed sliding in the grass but had to be traveling maybe 60 when he became air born. The vehicles black box would probably have recorded the most recent top speed before the crash, it would be interesting to know more.
What a shame for all involved.