MAD Magazine leaving after 67 years

Mad scaling back to reprints and once a year .
Just how are cnn and the progressives to get news now ?
guess they ran out of things to get "MAD" about?
guess they ran out of things to get "MAD" about? Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Hahaha, That's was pretty witty.
Dilbert,
I appreciate your humor which is on spot. But, print mags are rather expensive nowadays, and that's the whole issue.
I have a client that has a couple large presses. Publishers have the issue of folks simply not buying printed magazines (or other printed material) and that all flows downstream to the printers.
My guy can't find a buyer (his equipment is getting dated), so next time one of the presses blows a major piece, it goes offline. They'll leave it in place for parts picking for the remaining press. He's already dropped his 3rd shift, and he will not hire anyone as he expects to downsize again.
Anyway, the Mad Magazine discontinuance is an lighthouse type of example of what news and (dare I say in front of you guys) satire, is so prevalent on-line nowadays, that no one pays for the printed mag version.
I figured it was only a matter of time after the death of William Gaines and they started accepting ads.
That, and the media technology changes that UC mentioned.
With the internets, satire is now left to us dilettantes.
I always loved their movie parodies.

"Blotch Casualty and some dunce kid"
Cost is one but I think it is also content. What is funny? I remember an issue of National Lampoon from the 60s. It was called the "faggot" issue. Today that entire issue would considered by many to be hate speech. Mad is in the same boat. Think of the parody of Three's Company which ends with Anita Bryant showing up with a whip. How about All in the Family ending with little old Hitler moving in next door.
Cost is one but I think it is also content. What is funny? I remember an issue of National Lampoon from the 60s. It was called the "faggot" issue. Today that entire issue would considered by many to be hate speech. Mad is in the same boat. Think of the parody of Three's Company which ends with Anita Bryant showing up with a whip. How about All in the Family ending with little old Hitler moving in next door. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Oh, man. Don't get started with NatLamp. I was reading that and underground comics at age when most kids were reading superman.

I really have to watch my sense of humor in the work place.

Vaugh Bodes depiction of women warped my brain forever.
But then, Wally Wood was no slouch in the depiction of feminine pulchritude.

I like spy v spy Now kinda like Politics now
Like local newspapers, the number of magazines will fall victim to the internet.

I'm surprised Playboy is still publishing.
"The Walking Dead" comics finished up.

Even the rags that converted successfully online won't last for long if they can't innovate or adapt.
Mad is leaving? Where are they going?

Mad is leaving? Where are they going?

Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
When you find out go with them
Nowhere, until Mayor Pete flames out.
Nowhere, until Mayor Pete flames out. Originally Posted by bambino
I thought he was already ' flaming'.