Thread age and closings

Where does it state that one can't bump a thread older then 30 days? The only thing I can find is that it is frowned upon to bump reviews older then 30 days UNLESS new relevent information is provided. In fact that rule states threads are allowed to flow on and be timeless, so closing those threads is not needed and a bit of a stretch.

Not only have the local Kansas City mods stated to not bump old threads, you have closed them. Most recent example: http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=125124

This has been happening more and more as of late and its something I strongly disagree with based on the information being relevant.

#13 - In our review forums, be mindful of the 'maturity' of threads you are posting to, ie. the date of the last item posted. We ask that you refrain from posting to a review in which the last post was made 30 or more days ago. Some exceptions may apply if you are providing relevant, valuable or updated information about the provider, but as a general rule of thumb, this can best be accomplished by writing a new review altogether and avoiding the bumping of old ones. This applies to our review forums, in particular, as discussion threads are often allowed to flow for an unspecified length of time.
To go further http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=563951&page=3

Yet you allowed a provider to discuss and link a forbidden topic to a certain lady. Not only that, the membership looked to be policing her already without the need for mod assistance. I am more concerned with the closing of threads because that is an issue for me.
I have wondered about the old thread deal myself. So what if it's over 30 days old?
As far as closing threads, I guess if the op requests it but I have for the most part disagreed with most thread closings...especially if I have not had a chance to post...LOL
  • Modda
  • 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Hang on there guys. I'll let u know as soon as possible.
OP wasn't requesting threads be closed, and even if the OP makes the request, it doesn't mean that the request has to be honored.

It states that requests to close a thread will be considered, but as long as new information is relevant and the discussion continues to progress why close the thread?

#22 - ECCIE Staff will go to great lengths to avoid editing, deleting, or censoring our members posts or threads...unless absolutely necessary. Forbidden topics such as underage sex, illicit drugs, bestiality, revealing personal info, medical speculation, or images not in compliance will be removed from public view. Controversial, troublesome, or objectionable posts may draw staff attention or in some cases disciplinary action, but the offending post will not be removed from the view of our membership in any but the most extreme cases. Often times you will find directions, footnotes, or other guidance from staff edited INTO posts which draw our attention. These are for the purpose of educating the readers of what is and what is not acceptable as well as informing others about how these issues have been dealt with. Members are encouraged to RTM posts which include rule infractions or objectionable material if it appears that staff has not already becomed involved with the thread or post in particular.
Note: Staff will consider a request from the original poster to remove a thread/post they have made provided it was recently posted and not replied to. As a general rule, staff will not consider such requests once a thread or post has been visible for at least 4 hours or received 2 or more replies. In these cases, a request from the OP to lock the thread is more appropriate and will receive consideration.
Plus, OP doesn't own the thread. Once they create it, it belongs to the community and really shouldn't be closed unless site policy requires it. Just my 2 cents.
thought it was only reviews that shouldn't be bumped.
To go further http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=563951&page=3

Yet you allowed a provider to discuss and link a forbidden topic to a certain lady. Not only that, the membership looked to be policing her already without the need for mod assistance. I am more concerned with the closing of threads because that is an issue for me. Originally Posted by KenMonk
I am confused Ken, are you implying I have done something wrong here?
I am confused Ken, are you implying I have done something wrong here? Originally Posted by Gemma34

No I am not. It is a good thing that membership takes it upon themselves to police themselves in a postive and constructive way. What you did was perfectly fine and how I believe it should go. You questioned why someone would bump an old thread. I concede that Lana's post was in no way productive, but instead of editing her post to remove forbidden topics, the post was closed, and her comments were untouched.

My point, and issue is that for awhile now local mods have been quick to close threads and slap the hands of those who bump old threads and tossing in their input. Membership as a whole has policed this themselves in the past, and have done a fairly decent job of it, even when it happens to reviews. Just because a thread is bumped, doesn't mean it should be closed.
ok good! my thoughts exactly. I think its f'd up that just because an OP gets frustrated that their post is not going as they feel it should be, they can request for it to be closed and it happens. But as far as bumping old threads, its stupid and pointless to sometimes.
ok good! my thoughts exactly. There was no need to close the thread or many other threads. And it is f'd up that just because an OP gets frustrated that their post is not going as they feel it should be, they can request for it to be closed and it is. The rules are so confusing to me now at this point. Originally Posted by Gemma34

They seem pretty direct to me to be honest. Threads are timeless unless certain things carry it off course, and reviews shouldn't be bumped UNLESS relevant information is added to the subject, which is rare because a new review should be made if it involves a new session.
Oh wow! you quoted me while i was editing my post! you're a fast replier Ken lol
Oh wow! you quoted me while i was editing my post! you're a fast replier Ken lol Originally Posted by Gemma34

Thanks... I think...
This statement has always stuck with me....

Look, I can't fucking stand prematurely closing threads. Never have been able to stomach someone shutting down discussions on a message board that's main purpose is reviews and discussions. It's been one of my biggest pet-peeves since my ASPD days, and I'm so passionate about it here at ECCIE that our staff is usually all over it when it happens. One guy mistakenly closes a thread and the rest of the staff is all over his ass to open it back up. Trust me...that's the protocol here...

FULL QUOTE Originally Posted by St. C
I have noticed a few randomly closed threads lately... i.e. closed without any explanation at all.
Well its been going on for awhile locally and I for one am tired of it.