Baseball cards!

My kids and I have acquired hundreds and hundreds of baseball cards over the years and not for sure if any of them are worth anything, but I was wondering if there is a place that I can take them to have them appraised who is reliable and won't give me the runaround since I am a woman! LOL! Or even a website that may be able to help me look up the value! Any suggestions?
http://www.beckett.com/

Or you can go to any bookstore and buy the Beckett price guide magazine or book.

Any questions just let me know.
http://www.beckett.com/

Or you can go to any bookstore and buy the Beckett price guide magazine or book.

Any questions just let me know. Originally Posted by TennisBoner
Thank you, love!
  • Oppa
  • 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Just a tip but if you're looking to sell them at some point, go the Ebay route. Shops will not give you best value since they are looking to re-sell, and many shops won't buy any cards at all that are not from the 1960s and prior.
I would be interested in buying any mid-70's Cincinnati Reds stuff if it were a complete set, or at least most of the players from that era - AKA the Big Red Machine. Any Rangers cards from that era would be welcome too.
it is not a sellers market so you may want to hold on to them if you can. I have a whole lot and the market for sports cards of all types crashed in the mid 90s and really hasnt recovered since. there are exceptions to the rule but not too many. complete sets are still reasonable to sell and buy. if you can get players to sign them, of course the price will go up. take care of them and put the cards in player card sleeves, protectors or top loads.

http://www.baseball-cards.com/supplies/
In general, baseball cards made prior to the mid-80's have significantly more value. Between the mid-80's to recent times, baseball cards were overproduced, which really squashed the value. www.beckett.com is a good source. Autographs or game-used jersey / bat / or other memorabilia of players always add more value. As a general rule, the older the card, the higher the value. If you've got cards from the 70s, 60's, 50's or earlier, you might be sitting on a gold mine! Best of luck to you! Overall condition of the card is also important....
  • Oppa
  • 07-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Between the mid-80's to recent times, baseball cards were overproduced, which really squashed the value.
Exactly, particulary the Donruss and Topps brands of the late 80s to mid 90s. They were mass produced due to the popularity of collecting at the time and now don't hold much value. Any cards from that era I have just socked away in a cedar chest and don't plan to touch them again for another 20 years. Maybe by that time some of the quantity on the market will be "lost" to apathy or carelessness and they will retain some value again.
Remember the difference between what a card is worth and what someone is willing to pay for. It is true the cards pre 90s are worth more and have more value, but it could be more difficult trying to get someone to buy what it is worth since the market and the economy is not the best time right now.