The Dollar or the Friendship: Which would you let go?

I'm back from a self-imposed exile to reevaluate some things and feel it's time I extend some questions to an open forum to get other opinions. I will admit right now that I am about to partake in my third glass of wine... so hopefully I sound sane.

There have been a number of threads on hobbyist/provider relationships and the rewards and difficulties of them. I'd like to go in just a different direction. I think this is mostly directed at the ladies for answers.

Suppose you have a client(s) who you have built up some measure of friendship over the course of months or years. Let's say Loyal John has been your client for 5 years. You have shared many ups and downs together. One day you realize it is extremely difficult to get up that IOP (illusion of passion) and find yourself just wanting John to just be your friend - plain and simple. Have you ever felt this? How easy or difficult would it be to express that to him? Would you or have you ever feel that a client is worth enough to you to be a friend but not a client?

On the other hand how many times have some of you decided to sacrifice Loyal John for the dollar say in a better offer or because the rent's short, you put John off? Would you apologize, make an excuse or just ignore him?