Chicago style pizza

I've been wanting a true Chicago style deep dish pizza. I don't know of anyone who serves it.
Star pizza claims they do but a buddy and I went out there a few weeks ago and it was disappointing. Not the authentic Chicago style pizza I had when I visited there some years ago. It was close but not the real deal.
Anyone know of a place? Anyone even know what I'm talking about?
THAT is Chicago style pizza! Kind of disappointing, I thought the article might point me to a restaurant or two that we have here.
But the author is right. Star pizza touts a Chicago style pizza but it is not. They have the crust right in the right pan but the insides are a bit lacking. And it should have the top completely covered in sauce.
I will not profess to be an expert on Chicago style deep dish, but the deep dish at Barry's Pizza (Richmond and Chimney Rock) is very good. Great crust and a great sauce slathered on top. Hope it fits the bill....
I will not profess to be an expert on Chicago style deep dish, but the deep dish at Barry's Pizza (Richmond and Chimney Rock) is very good. Great crust and a great sauce slathered on top. Hope it fits the bill.... Originally Posted by yuzhnoman
I'll check it out and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.
The only thing I want from Chicago is too watch duhhhh Bears lose. Go Pack Go.
Not a big fan of Pizza like that, but... while at a place in the Heights (Star Pizza) they served something very similar to that.
Not sure about Chicago style pizza in Houston, but has anyone ever been to Vincent's Pizza Park, now closed, but it was in Pittsburgh, PA (Forrest Hills)?
  • Seedy
  • 05-14-2014, 04:14 AM
Barry's is one of my favs, but it is not Chicago style, it is Sicilian. My home town is 30k people, 25k are Italian, has over 50 pizza parlors, only thing it has more of is bookies. Lol. I think you may be sol here in Houston OoB.
I only eat fried chicken.
Not a big fan of Pizza like that, but... while at a place in the Heights (Star Pizza) they served something very similar to that. Originally Posted by lookn4boobies
That's where I had the "Chicago style" pizza. It was good but disappointing.
I get my fix by ordering Lou's (Lou Malnati's) online. Delivered on dry ice the next day. I can't cook it like they do, don't have a hot enough oven, but it still tastes good to me. Will never beat sitting down in Buffalo Grove, IL (the original), but having it delivered here is less expensive, but still expensive. I am with you however, Star has good pizza but no one can seem to figure out the Chicago secret. Good luck to you in your quest. Hope you find something so I can go. Tell us how you liked Barry's, then go a block down for a massage!
Unless they sell by the slice I won't be dining alone so I'll has to skip the massage.
What is this Lou's site you mentioned?
I was in Pittsburgh for 2 years. Great, great neighborhood pizza shops.