Socials - Why don't you come?

I have attended many social events over the years at ASPD and a few others and have always had a blast when I go. I am always amazed at the wonderful variety of people I meet and the interesting conversations I have along with meeting my fellow hobbyist and ladies.

My question is why don't you attend? Is it that your not invited? Is it you're concerned about security or being seen?

With the exception of one party over the past 10 years, I can assure all of you that everyone is well behaved, and very nice and the socials are like a good office party and if you were seen there, your friends would think your at a birthday party or office party.

Tell me and the other organizers why you don't come. I am particularly interested in why the ladies don't come...
cant never seem to get an invite. but i'd love to come!
I started pulling away from them when the screening for Social Participants landed in the hands of Providers....

i.e.... A guy has to provide vouches from a couple of providers.... It gave me concerns over what would happen when a lady was compromised....

It also took the events from being a bunch of like minded individuals meeting somewhere to being a CONFIRMED group of guys and gals engaged in what many consider to be an illegal activity....

personally.... I believe that kind of policy simply raises the potential for some sort of attention I would not want to be a part of.

I've been to many a Social, Hot Tub Party, Customer Appreciation Party, Lake PArty, Boat Party, etc,,etc,,, but invites were a lot more open and events were planned in public spots where everyone dressed appropriate and were on their best behavior....

I always had a blast....

I've had fun at a few of the ones that were held in private venues and swingers bars but when they escalate to toy play, clothing malfunctions and debauchery....

they are not my personal cup of tea....

Since I am OPPOSED to the concept of screaning, it would also be hypocritical of me to provide provider references to get an invite.

But... Since there are many other events that I do partake in I seldom find myself bored.

I do highly recomend socials when available for newcomers on the scene that can meet the requirements and stay on their best behavior.... It is a greart way of meeting like minded individuals as well as a few ladies and often times helps you avoid additional screening after a face to face...
Not sure why the question was asked.... but in SA this year we have had events every month and twice a month in May, June, July, August, September, and the 8th or 9th annual Hollow Weenie Masquerade is this month. In Austin, something like six or seven events so far this year.

The organizers don't solicit any one to attend; we ask those who attend to make the suggestion to folks they think might enjoy meeting and greeting. And, if a member asks about attending, then he or she gets the same response on gaining an invite.

Regarding vouching for an invitation....

My event vouching has nothing to do with "legitimate" provider or "legitimate" hobbyist status - but more to the point, can the invitee follow the rules of behavior which are there to protect all who might attend, whether the event is in a public place or a very private space.

And, well, if providers MUST be vouched to be confirmed as board members, my very humble opinion is that perhaps hobbyists should be vouched as well. Even if not for board membership, then certainly for events that are closed to those who are not vouched.

Thus ALL invitees must be vouched by reliable, established members of the other gender who are saying that they believe the invitee will follow the rules. We don't ask for anyone to be an absolute sponsor, either.

Doesn't matter what board they are on, either. In fact, many folks who attend are not on any board.

Other criteria: "window shoppers" - hobbyist or not - are not entirely welcome, thus I ask for vouches from several providers for sessions from the previous 90 days or so.

So, to a degree, yes, providers are responsible for vouching the gents, and vice versa.

The above vouching philosophy has been in place in San Antonio since 2002 and it appears to be working just about as well as it should.

= = = =

Events are meet & greets. And for those who haven't seen the rules of late:

All events are only a "meet & greet" -- and all who attend are expected to follow the rules.

If you attend, it is presumed you have read the rules and have agreed to follow them. Those who don't will not be invited to future events.

No illegal activities. That means no play for pay, no drugs, absolutely nothing that can compromise the security of our members, guests and our host venue. If you don't understand the rules, please ask ck1942 to explain.

For the security of all involved - no cameras; no uninvited/unsponsored guests; no haggling over services, etc.

No recruiting for anything and no promoting of any web sites.

Please respect all attending by no inappropriate touching and by not disclosing their presence to others on or off any board.
Hey CK, I asked because some people told me that they would "never come" and I just didn't get why not.....there are SO many really nice people there I enjoy meeting....
  • tron
  • 10-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I am interested in meeting some of the women on this board, but I don't ever want to meet any of the guys. It's all about discretion, and the last thing I want to meet some motor-mouth that might recognize me.
I was told along time ago that le is usually always at socials. I don't know if that is true or not, but it swayed my decision for a very long time. I love my family so much and wouldn't want to do something that would put me in the public eye. I know there is no illegal activities but why put yourself at more risk. That was my thinking anyway. I went to my first social recently and I had a blast after I got over the nervousness.Thank you to the people or person that organized Anyway, I am sure I will attend more socials now. Even if you don't click with someone bcd its still nice to talk to those folks. Some of the smartest people I've ever met have been from this board or the p. Its nice to put faces with handles too!
  • Carl
  • 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Trust me. You don't want me around. I suck the life out of a room. I'd have to go to charm school just to improve my social skills to "turd in a punch bowl"-levels. That and my B.O. could peel the paint off a garbage truck. On the bright side, I'm really, really good at figuring the percentage for a tip if you let me use your calculator.
  • 10-18-2010, 11:21 PM
;Staff Edit..Spacemtn the ones held in strip clubs, not so much. Sorta fell off CK's invite list post-ASPD, alas.
So is there a regular austin social? Who is the go to person to get on the invite list?
Security, security, security. I've got a number of social and professional circles that at my age will never again intersect with this one. Years ago I became active in ASPD socials and it damned near cost me everything. This is one activity I'm happy to pursue solo.

Did have fun in the old days tho,...
  • Carl
  • 10-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Security, security, security. I've got a number of social and professional circles that at my age will never again intersect with this one. Years ago I became active in ASPD socials and it damned near cost me everything. This is one activity I'm happy to pursue solo.

Did have fun in the old days tho,... Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
You sound like you're talking with your head up your culo, chulo.
Hmm...
I don't go because I can't afford the possibility of criminal charges. yea yea! I am in the hobby, that is possibility enough. Basically, I have worn orange before, on a few occasions, many years ago. But, they are still visible, and a hobby associated charge would be a State Offense for me. So I tiptoe, and I stick with what has worked to keep me free for ten years. "Wrong place at the wrong time" is an unfortunate but common situation, and so is groups of hobby folk getting busted.

This is my excuse anyway
Amy
I have had several people see me at socials and I just say Im at a birthday party or industry event and has never been a problem. As far as someone being a "motor mouth" you know, if they are there they are in the same boat you are and that conversation could take place to make sure that didn't happen. YSSUP RIDER would you elaborate on your old situation at an ASPD social and what happened in general?

Since these events are at a variety of different locations, some private and some public, and are by invite only, I don't worry much. There is nothing illegal or unusual about friends getting together for a dinner, lunch or drinks and LE doesn't have the time or resources to bother with such events since nothing illegal is going on there. Although I don't doubt LE isn't there because many hobby too.
  • unagi
  • 10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Always had had fun at the socials and got to meet several providers there that I ended up getting a session with later. Two ended up as ATFs.

I think I was at the "exception of one party over the past 10 years" and contributed to the exception.