Again - Laws with "the best intentions" only screw things up.

• Loxly
  • 03-02-2018, 04:52 PM
A new bill intended to combat sex trafficking also outlaws online speech and information designed to protect the health and safety of sex workers. On Feb. 27, the U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 1865, titled the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA), a bill that paints with such a broad brush that anybody who provides online information promoting the well-being of sex workers could be subject to criminal prosecution.

According to the Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP), an organization dedicated to protecting the human rights of sex workers, FOSTA was written to include “all prostitution, not simply trafficking situations.” The bill outlaws the promotion or facilitation of prostitution, as well as reckless disregard of actions contributing to sex trafficking. According to SWOP, the bill’s prohibitions extend to informational campaigns that are designed to protect the safety and well-being of sex workers.
Just like you said....'best intentions"....
  • Old-T
  • 03-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Sadly some of the people who write such screwed up bills do NOT have good intentions.
Reminds me of my short time living in SA, and one night I got bored and went to check out one of the strip clubs there. When I went to tip a girl on stage it looked like she had some HORRIBLE skin condition. I actually recoiled a little. My first thought was that she'd suffered some sort of reaction to a bra she'd got because it looked like skin was peeling off everywhere a bra would touch you. When I saw it on a second girl I knew something was up. I asked my waitress, and her story was that some city councilwoman had caught her husband at a strip club, and pushed through a bill that stripper's breasts had to have some sort of minimum coverage that somehow turned out to be painting on a top with some sort of latex. The visual effect was horrifying.